Very ODD Sun Coral rock!!!!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by 90_Berlin_joe, Jul 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Purchased this sun coral about 3 month ago and have noticed some weird things about it, but thought nothing of it. Until Brandon posted his pic of his and noticed that mine looked nothing like his. So i looked closer and it is very odd in fact complete ODD. Here is why the rock they are attached to opens like a clam and when i bump the rock it will close up. Here is a few pics.

I have a very interesting video but don't know how to post it for viewing. Some one could help me there that would be great.

Sun Coral rock open

Sun coral rock closed

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Have you ever direct feed the coral? This coral does best if you feed it. I usually feed mine some brine shrimp. I use a little squirter to get the shrimp to the coral. If that does not help you might want to try to move it somewhere else. Although this coral is not photosynthetic it somtimes to be in the "sun" a bit.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Uploading videos can be done the same was as pictures. Instead of browsing and clicking on the desired picture, you click on the video to be uploaded :)

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I tried clicking on the links...for me they aren't working.......

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Berlin, if it opens and closes, you might have a clam embedded within the rock work. Pretty neat. I know someone who got a hitchhiker clam on a mushroom frag he purchased. Hehe, pretty neet little guy. He is so embedded into the rock that he cannot take out his mantles. Btw, I can't acces the media you posted.

For the video, you can try posting it on YouTube.com and then linking it here. ;D

7. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

Well I dont know what else to say but damn! thats cool;D

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Yea....wow thats wild! How the heck did THAT happen?? Its cool tho!

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

That's neat! I'd say it's definetly a clam. Man... it's weird though... clam + sun coral = not good for the clam. Try to investigate it more Berlin. That is definetly a nice score. ;D

12. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

that's pretty cool.....if something else bizarre happens (clam & sun coral rock starts moving across the substrate or jumps out of the tank) i'd say contact ripley's....