very noisy weir, what can I do

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Stingray, Apr 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Ok, so I set up my new 2ft cube tank with sump, all ready added rock salt. Then the big moment plugged in the return pump and how my god, are all tank and sumps this noisy, can hardly hear the tele, please tell me there is something I can do to make it more quiet, or my misses may make me sell it :(

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Do you have a standpipe in the overflow? What design is it and how tall is it in relation to th overflow weir teeth? How far does the water drop going over the weir?

What size sump and return pump do you have and what do you estimate the flow is after headloss?

4. Stingray

Will get that info up asap, sorru whats headloss

5. Stingray

It's a 2ft cube with sump on a 30" stand, made by clear seal, in the weir water drops 2ft from weir teeth, 1" or so above teeth is top of the tank glass, 3 holes are in the bottom of weir, left is the return to sump pipeing and travels another 2ft into the sump through a 1 and quarter inch pipe at the top is a ball joint tap i have fully opened(don't know why it would be on the return to sump pipe)the pipe is submerged 1" under sump water lvl, middle is the overflow and that too has a 1" pipe into the sump(submerged) and also travels up to just under 1" of the weir teeth, and the 3 is the return piping into tank, the pump is connected to just over 2ft of eheim hose and is a rio 1700 pump on the right side of sump, not sure of sump size in gallons but its 18" long & deep with 15" width, 1 bubble trap in the middle, water on left is 12" before entering baffle and water on right is 10",,,,, any help would be greatly appreciated, hope this helps give you more of a understanding...

Stingray...

6. Stingray

It,s ok, nobody mentioned the simple durso standpipe, gonna put one together now, thanks anyway

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I guess you did not see my question about a standpipe in post #2? Most of us would assume you already had a standpipe of some sort, I was trying to find out what you had.
    You might look at the Stockman standpipe design, it is more compact than the Durso and I find it to be very quiet on my reef.

Headloss is the resistance to flow in the return pump piping. It is vertical distance from water level in the sump to water level or rim height of the display plus any friction losses due to fittings, line size and velocity in the pipe or tubing, usually expressed in feet or meters of headloss. All pumps have an accompaning graph or chart showing what GPH or liters a pump should produce at a give head. The figure they usually provide is the maximum a pump will deliver at 0 feet of head, open discharge and you use the chart to figure your scenario from there. A common number often seen is around 5 feet or just under 2 meters of headloss with a normal system.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Thanks for the. Reply, sorry about the standpipe, i'm new to sump setups and had no clue what it was, I have had a right game today trying to make a durso and just about fits in weir, will add pics shortly, seems they dont make 3/4" fitments and pipe anymore and if they do its hard to find, will check out other design, thanks for info

10. Stingray

Heres a few pics of tank and weir to give you a better idea...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  11. Stingray

Ok, i sorted it, turned the return stop cock half way, which stopped the very noisy weir completly, no fluctuations in water lvls either, been running perfectly now for a few hours, and i was even able to adjust the return valve from the pump nearly all the way back on without noise, impossible to overflow i have a 2nd overflow pipe 1" below the weir teeth and only keep the sump water lvl 2" above the pump, Thanks for all the swift replys...