Very New, Please Help!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by geo284, Dec 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

are there name brands of tanks you can give me that i can look into? i dont want to be pushed into something else if its not what i need. i can only go 48" across and 24" height. width isnt an issue i can go as deep as i want.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Agree completely. More info can be found here: Anampses

She looks in really good condition, from what I can see. Mouth is not red, and she is not skinny. If she eats prepared foods, you'll probably be just fine with her.

4. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

he has eaten today just a lil while ago. i saw him eat the frozen mysis i put in there

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Very good then (it is a female, btw). Could she jump out? ie- is your tank covered?

6. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Life expectancy differs from tank to tank. Water quality, water flow (mainly for corals and anems) , food, tank mates, etc.) vie had the same clownfish for four years. :)

7. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

wow! didnt know it was a female thanks. how do you tell? for any of the fish for that matter? i have two pieces of glass that cover my tank nothing can get in or out

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Oceanic aren't bad, but other options are Marineland and Allglass, although I think Oceanic owns Allglass or the other way around. If money isn't a problem, you could always get a custom tank fit to whatever specs you want.

10. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

PS: to answer your question about what to put in a refugium; I'd highly recommend Miracle Mud. It's on the expensive side, but it does a wonderful job. :) Also you could put macro algae, coral frags (if light is strong enough), inverts. I used to have a Peacock Mantis Shrimp in my Refugium, and cleaner clams in a different compartment.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Wonderful. Check out the link I posted a few posts ago; there's a picture of a male and female. Males have orangish heads.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I wouldn't use the mud, I have it and I didn't really notice any appreciable effects it had over sand. I now have a layer of mud and now some sand on top. I would save the money and just go with sand.