Very New, Please Help!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by geo284, Dec 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

I have had my tank for about 2-3 months. i pretty much got started with a guy from a local fish store who has been helping me out. he tells me what to get and i get it and he does all the work. i am just lost here because i dont know what he is doing and i have no idea what i have to do. the only thing i know pretty much is i have to feed the fish daily. i have a 90 oceanic wich i wanna upgrade to a 120 for more room. with a sump and now he is adding a refugium. i really want to know what kind of equipment i have and names of the living stuff i have in my tank. any ideas on how to make it better and pretty much everything else. it is costing me a fortune having a guy come here everytime i need something. so please help. i dont even know where to start to talking about things. i appreciate it thanks.
    regards,
    george

2. Click Here!

3. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I bet that can get pricey! Also sounds like he may be taking advantage. This is a great site to help you out. I'm sure you can get all of your questions answered with no problem. Can you post pics of your stuff?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hello and Welcome geo,

Post a picture of your tank, inhabitants and system and I am sure we will be able to help you out.

If you get a chance try and look at some other members threads and you will also see equipments and ID on fish and inverts.

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Hi George,

I too am very new, and I've found the best thing to do is to read... A LOT! I started out at www.fishlore.com, a good general topic website that provides the down and dirty about basic equipment, setup, maintanence, and care. I then started stalking this forum, and you'll find alot of good threads about different equipment, livestock, etc. I also bought a book, called The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium on Amazon for $13. What a steal! 300 pages of glossy paper with full color photos of every marine animal you would find in an aquarium. That will probably help you ID a bunch of your livestock.

Read, read, and read some more. I have yet to take delivery of a used aquarium I've purchased, and have been reading for months now, and I'm still nervous. Everyone will make mistakes, hopefully educating yourself will minimize their impact on your livestock, and your wallet.

Good Luck!

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I picture will help us out a lot to see here what we are working with here! Research, research, research!!!

7. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

how do i post pictures, i am not very good at this either sorry

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Not a problem.

In the reply to message screen below where you post , scroll down and you will see Additional Options, choose Manage Attachments and up load from your desk top.

Or you can directly link them from photobucket and such, just copy and paste the link right into your post.

10. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

i cant get the pictures on here i am having trouble doing it. any thoughts

11. Corailline

12. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

i downloaded pics from my phone and put folder on my desktop. i tried to copy and paste them but i get no option for paste when i get back on the thread.