VERY LONG brown string algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ford101, Apr 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

I know i have some type of hair algae that just wont leave even though I use distilled water, rinse frozen food, have a skimmer, have chateo, and have a gfo reactor. I included some pics just to be sure about the hair algae. But also, i have some ridiculously long string algae. One piece in particular goes from the intake of my AC70 fuge all the way to the impeller. That about 10 inches +! It is really hard to photograph because it is very thin. It is growing all over the place and the strings just wave around in the flow. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

That its a very easy kill for peroxide, check any of the threads on it your tank is not bad at all

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

+1. ill be starting peroxide dosing soon. its supposed to kill virtually any algae!

5. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

hey guys, first off thanks for the reply! I just read that 1ml of H2O2 for every 10gal. is a good dosage, assuming you are using the standard 3% solution. I have a 20 gal so obviously i would dose 2ml. Should i do this every day? Do i just pour it in the tank?

6. SwimsWithFish

yes. id do 1.5mL daily(since you have less than 20g in your system) until its gone.:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

okay so i just dosed approx. 1.5 ml of H2O2 @ 3% concentration, and i must say wow a little must go a longggg way! About 20 seconds after dosing, my zoa polyps retracted significantly! They did reopen about a minute later and look fine! So we will see how long this takes to rid of algae, anyone know how long it usually takes with a mild algae case?

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Ehh. From what I've heard maybe a week. BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH! I have not done this yet but many on the site have.

10. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

A week sounds good to me haha, I will keep you posted as to how it works out.

11. SwimsWithFish

12. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Truly when in doubt the safest option is to change tank water with a little more work than usual

Alternate a strong water change with these dosings, your tank will perk up soon after any time you want to go on a cleaning binge, in this case its to offset a stressor. It will save any tank just starting with peroxide from overdose

If I could offer one theme it would be to externally treat when you can

The tank above was not packed with coral, it was an easy systemic run at 1:10