Vertex Libra Doser Up Close

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Getting up close to the Vertex Libra dosers was quite an experience. They are over-built and encased in aluminum with a 3.2" LCD touch screen - you don't want to hide this in a cabinet. And beyond the finish, the Japanese Welco quad-roller pump-heads are reliable and extremely accurate allowing for dosing as low as .5mL - a stand out from my Bubble Magus at 1mL. Furthermore, you are not limited to a limited preset amount of dosing per day as much as the Bubble Magus. You can dose .5mL every few minutes if you want. Couple that with medical-grade tubing with high corrosion resistance and this is one serious doser that should last. Details below.

[​IMG]
    Vertex has made dosers sexy.

[​IMG]
    Look closely at the display above. That is showing 17.5mL X 46 doses a day for 805mL total. Yes, you enter the mL and then adjust dosing to get your total. How cool is that?

The Libra pumps can be easily swapped out with a JST connection without need to mess with the firmware that automatically recognizes them.

Libra dosers are designed and manufactured by Vertex in Austria and it shows.

The Libras have USB ports and Meanwell drivers for connecting to controllers. (Such as the amazing Vertex Cerebra, more on that soon.)

Vertex also has integrated stoichiometry management in the Libra line using UPC grade chemicals. I am not familiar with this technique but it sounds intriguing as you apparently don't have to figure out daily consumption rates. (More in link below)

2 different motor types are available for different applications and precision demands:

• Reliable Japanese DC motor 7.2W@ 24VDC / 150 RPM- 1:8 Gear ratio
    • Accurate Stepper-motor 3.2W @24VDC / 0.1125 "/step - 1:8 Gear ratio

Product Specifications:

Input: 90-270 VAC I 50-60Hz
    Driver out-put: 24 VDC I lOOOmA

Max. Consumption: 22W
    Max. Current: 920mA

Construction: Aluminum, ABS/PC side-caps
    Unit Certifications: EMC / CE / RoHs

Driver Certifications: UL / CSAI PSE /TUV I EMCI ETL/ GS

Price:
    DC Model - The DC Libra MSRP is $479. Available now.
    Stepper Model - The even more accurate stepper pump version should be available any day now with a MSRP around $600.

More information at Vertex Web site:
    Vertex Aquaristik > Products > Pumps > Dosing Pumps > Libra Doser

I've never been really excited about a doser and never thought I would be but Vertex changed that. I don't have any real problems with my Bubble Magus but I have desired to dose in .5 mL increments before to hit that sweet spot. And I have felt limited by the dosing presets. Vertex Libra addresses that and way, way more. I think I can easily rationalize the additional $179 that the DC version costs over my Bubble Magus. How about you?

matt

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Holy Schnikeys Batman! That is one bad doser. Never thought a doser could be sexy.

1 person likes this.
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol nice write up. I am extremely impressed with my BM-101 but this is like a rolls royce. I might be able to justify the 179 if I hadnt already got myine up and running.

5. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

does this mean you want to sell you bubble magus:), but i agree this is an awesome looking doser and .5mL would be very nice

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I just might. :)

matt

7. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Alright drop me a pm when you decide. thanks wish I could talk myself into this one tho haha

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I saw this thing set up at my LFS and it is a beast. They've had it running for several weeks now and the guy gave me a rundown of how cool this machine is. Price tag is correct they had the stepper model for 650 and as expensive as it may look, seeing how this thing performs makes the price tag look tempting. Great write up Matt.

1 person likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thank you Nc2! It only took 2.5 hours. :)

FYI,
    Here is a Libra tutorial video that Vertex posted recently:

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I suspect the stepper motor version will be a Japanese made Welco as well. Nice to see Welco's being used like this :D

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Whoa whoa whoa. So the FIFTEEN MINUTE tutorial only has a bit of the information... there is a DVD that covers it AND a manual.... Ok thats just involved for me. I'm a numbskull and my BM-101 too 5 minutes for me to grunt and pound into. I think this is up Biocube's alley though. Pretty technical lol