(VELVET??) Weird looking clowns

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Strickland_673, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

So I noticed tonight that under my actinic LEDs that I notice like a white dusting on my clowns, way too small to be ich. I just added an anemone? could it be them getting use to the stings?? Also one of my chromis has stopped eating and is very scared, he was getting bullied for quite some time from the other chromis in there.

It a 40g breeder I moved everything over into from my 25g 2 weeks ago now, with 20 g sump. all water parameters are good.

Any Ideas???

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

its probably ich, or sand, but I would say ich.

4. Strickland_673

I've been looking at pics of ich, it just seems way to small and fine... and only under my actinics? I hope it's not ich....

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

May be google Velvet disease.

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 on velvet. Our area is having an outbreak of velvet and I REFUSE to purchase any fish right now. Velvet is a PIA. Ich doesnt worry me in the least bit, velvet is very hard to treat and can wipe a tank out in a matter of days. Unfortunately by the time you see velvet it is usually too late.

You can go ahead and try to move the fish to a QT tank and treat with EITHER hyposalinity or Copper not both.

Your DT needs to be fallow for at least 6-8 weeks before reintroducing any fish back into your system.

Marine velvet

7. Strickland_673

UGH..... just had to remove one of the chromis, he was skipping on top of water. He was being bullied for awhile too.

can't see anything on the clowns with daylight lights on, just actinics, I think it moght just be the very edge of their scales glowing?!?!

Oh just noticed something hanging off the eye of my clown, like dead skin.

8. Click Here!

9. Strickland_673

If it is velvet, which it seems like it is. What's my best option? I only have 1 chromis and 2 false perc clowns in there for fish, and some corals which I'm pretty sure velvet won't effect...

The clowns seem perfectly fine eating like horses and swimming like always.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

velvet will not attack your corals. If it is velvet the only thing will be to treat them. Left untreated it is a very, very high death rate. Out of the several people that I know that had velvet I know of only 1 fish that made it through (they did not treat) These 2 tanks were 300+ gallon
    Again you will have to remove the fish and place them in a QT tank and treat either with copper of hypo (like 1.012 or lower) Unfortunately velvet can live in your system for a lot longer that Ich and you MUST keep the tank fish free for at least 6 weeks.

It is up to you regarding treating or not. If it is velvet then the survival rate is low even with treatment because usually the disease is fairly advanced by the time you notice it. Even transfering them out of your tank to QT tank can cause a lot of stress and might kill them
    good luck!

1 person likes this.
  11. Strickland_673

Thanks Schack!! Karma!! it looks like it's gone today and everyone is swimming around fine and eating like pigs!!! Hopefully it was just paranoia....

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid