Velvet and SG

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by coldshot, Mar 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I lost my last fish to Velvet. If I drop my SG to 1.015 will the parasite die out faster? Can I drop it that low with my Feather Duster and Pencil Urchin? If not I am just going to empty the whole can and start over with a sand substrate and live rock instead of crushed coral and dry rock. I will put this stuff in my other tank in the closet.. (old metal frame snake tank 48x20x20 needs resealed)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

pm Scenario1313, he's going through it right now too. I think he's just doing a uv.

p.s. sorry bout your fish.. :(

4. coldshot

I only know how to PM people if I see them in a thread. And I dont really like bothering people like that, unless I know them..thnx any ways...Maybe Tangster will see this post he has been helpful in my sitaution so far. I can wait the 12 weeks as He suggested but thought there might be a shortcut and dropping SG helps with Ick so maybe it would help here also....Just a thought....

5. coldshot

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I can tell you this... If you are positive it is amyloodinium a.k.a velvet, I hate to break it to you but hyposalinity is not effective. It can live in darn near freshwater. Velvet is much different and MUCH WORSE than the common ick most of us face. Velvet is the scourge of not only wholesalers but retailers and hobbyists alike.

Velvet is different in a few regards, it goes for the gills almost instantly. Which is NO GOOD!! Ick attacks the body then works its way to the gills. When you see ick you have time to treat it, with velvet once you see it it is often too late.

Velvet also is different as it has the ability to photosynthesize... This is an aspect of velvet that really annoys hobbyists and retailers alike. Granted with ick, if you remove all fish the ick will go dormant and wait for more fish to "appear". The wives tale of removing fish from a tank infested with ick is just that, a wives tale. I will tell you with almost 100% certainty that if you remove all fish from an ick tank, and put them back, they will get ick again, no matter if you wait 45 days or 2 years.
    Velvet on the otherhand doesn't really go dormant but it can live off light, even very small amounts. You would have to remove all fish and put tank into complete darkness for you to erradicate it "naturally"
    One of the best ways to remove amyloodinium is with an acriflavine, copper, formalin combo. That is the most aggressive and most effective way to go. Granted each one on its own will most likely do the job, all three together will wipe it out.

If you have a reef this will obviously not work....
    BUT there is a reef safe med called No Ick that is a Acriflavin Formalin combo that IS reef safe... I have personally used it before and it IS effective, IF you catch it in time.

Also since the gills of the fish are effective make sure you have ample aeration to help them breathe.

Good luck and if you have more questions feel free to PM, its not a bother! ;-)
    Or better yet post it so everyone can learn!!!

Sorry for your loss and good luck!

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

Will the No Ick get it out of the tank or just the fish? I have no fish just an infested tank with a cuc and a feather duster a some mushrooms

10. Dr.Fragenstein

The No Ick will work... Now that I think of it I am recommending the wrong product. REVIVE is the acriflavine formalin blend. No Ick is another chemical more geared for ick NOT velvet. REVIVE is good for VELVET,

Sorry for the mix up.

The Revive will attack the amyloodinium in the tank thats alive, as well as on fish.
    I would treat the tank for two courses and then add a fish. I would do another course once you add the first fish just to be confident everything is taken care of.

Good luck

11. coldshot

I am gonna shop for revive now..hope its not another mix up...lol...THnx Doc....

12. Dr.Fragenstein

No, this time I am positive... Its REVIVE!;D

Good luck!