veggie clip material

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by LCP136, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So with addition of my new foxface (see my "new foxface" thread for information and a picture), I decided the FF and my YT could use some veggies, so I acquired a veggie clip. I put some pure nori that I got at the supermarket a little bit ago in there and they gobbled it down. However, judging by their excrement they aren't digesting it. What should I do? Should I get some new nori? or should I try something like boiling it before feeding? Any other suggestions? Are there specific brands that are good?

Oh, and also by the way, there's broccoli in now that I didn't boil or anything, just rinsed and put in the clip and put in there.

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

ya I have heard a lot of people use broccoli so I guess that should be fine

someone with more tang experience can add to this subject I'm sure

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have never had any problems with nori... they inhale it. Might just take them a few days to get used to it. I alternate between nori, seaweed sheets and romaine lettuce

I know others use brocolli but I never have had good luck with it. I have heard you should blanch it for it to be more palable.

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I would stick with the broccoli, I have had good luck with it in the past as have many others. I know Otty puts at least one peice in a day. But he also has 265 gallons :)

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I found Nori at the sushi counter at a local grocery store. It's tax-free since it's a food item, and less than half price of the Julian Springs sea veggies.
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Good to know. I have dried nori from the supermarket. I may order some stuff from ebay. I also have a homemade veggie food that was mixed in the blender. It consists of mostly formula two, but also has some fresh table shrimp and scallop mixed in. That also gets them some algae. Also, they have microalgae to graze on due to my severe lack of RO/DI (also the reason for my severe lack of SPS ;D;D)

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So, should I keep the stuff I had that they couldn't digest or not? Will they become use to it?

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i wouldnt worry about it but some clips come with plastic chicken wire to hold it and make it a little more difficult to get at.
    i would just feed them less or spread it over more time

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So even though they clearly didn't digest it, I should keep feeding?