Vegas rock... in or out?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by surfnthreef, Sep 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surfnthreef

surfnthreef Flamingo Tongue

I finally ordered the remaining 90 lbs of rock I need to complete my established tank. I set up a 55 gallon garbage can in my garage with an old Koi fish pond pump and canister filter that I powerwashed. The pump sits at the bottom of the trash can (underneath a milk crate) and pumps through a hose into the large canister filter (with activated carbon) and back through a hose to the trash can. I think the setup is beautiful for curing rock, but I realized the temperature of the water is 87 degrees! Las Vegas is still extremely warm. Is this temp too high to cure rock? I know a higher temperature aids in the dying off process, but is this temp too high? My rock will be here Thursday...tomorrow.... what should I do? Moving the setup inside is not a huge deal, but I would rather not...!@#$!!!#$????:confused:::):eek::confused::confused:::):-/ A quick answer is appreciated as I only have one day to figure this out. Thanks 3reefers!;)

2. Click Here!

3. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

If you really want to keep it outside the house I would put a fan over it to try to lower the temperature. Just have some top-off water near by, otherwise I would move it inside. JMO