Vacuuming sand bed ?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jborlace, May 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

When I do my weekly WC I vacuum the sand. I have one of the cheap wal mart vacuums. My problem is that the poop and gunk doesn't vacuum very good. Usually just falls back down the tube into the tank. Water vacuums fine but I don't think I'm getting the fish poop out like I should be. And I always have a cup full of sand in the bottom of the bucket. What do you guys do with the sand and how can I get the sand to vacuum better ? Thanks !!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If this is a SW tank you really shouldn't be disturbing the SB at all.:confused:

4. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

what size is your tank? I use a small airline tube to vacuum my sand that way I get zero sand and just the very top layer of gunk, but I only have a 12g and a 28g. I imagine that would not be the answer for a larger tank, it'd be too time consuming. Maybe a better vacuum? I do *not* recommend the hang on aquarium cleaner that puts the water back in tank (Cobalt Power Gravel Cleaner Hang On Aquarium Gravel Cleaner), I have one for my tanks and my friend has one for his 95g and neither of us like it.

5. jborlace

I didn't know that !! Crap. How am I supposed to get the fish poop off the sand bed ?

6. jborlace

It's a 55 gallon.

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

You should use powerheads to keep a current going to keep is suspended for your filter or overflow to grab it.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Devin's suggestion helps but CUC,and bacteria will remove waste from your system.As long as proper maintenance and feeding practices are adhered to disturbing the SB is unecessary/dangerous IME.

10. jborlace

Yeah I defentially need a CUC. I only have a Sally lightfoot crab at the moment. I'm guessing I need some snails but I have a saddle puffer. Won't he eat the snails ?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Yes.:( How deep is the SB?

12. jborlace

It's probably less than an inch