UVl Bulbs

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by meagan1823, Mar 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes they work in HO fixtures. They are also designed to be overdriven by Ice Cap ballasts hence the VHO label.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Those will work in standard T5 and T5HO systems.

VHOs are the T12 standard huge lights.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You can overdrive them to make a 54w around 80 watts, but I wouldn't advise it.

I am not a big fan of UVL t5ho bulbs. They are OK but the worst of the "better" t5ho bulbs.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

They are o.k. Everyone has their preference. I like Giesemann Powerchrome; Giesemann Powerchrome T5 High Output Fluorescent Lamps

Now, click on the link you gave for Drs. Foster and Smith and look to right on the site at the Panorama LED Module. I just added one to my Biocube and am quite happy with the effect. I am eventually (once the pair of bulbs are exhausted on my 55 gal.) replacing those 2 bulbs with the Panorama.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I really like the UVL super actinic bulb. Makes your tank a violet purple tint. Nice to use with a ati Blue + actinic. Sometimes the blue actinic is a little too blue for taste. In my opinion, the UVL SA neutrilizes some of the blue and really adds some nice purple.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

In with an array with enough bulbs, they work OK. I had tried one on my 3x39w lit t5ho only 35g a few years ago when the UVL line just came out for t5ho. The UVL SA was not enough light to allow me to "waste" that bulb slot when I could run 2 ati B+ and 1 ATI aquablue. That worked pretty well, but had I had room for 1 more t5 bulb, I probably would have put the SA in there.