UV Sterilizer

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mlott132, May 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Thinking of adding a uv sterilizer to my system. Tank went through an algae bloom a few months back and water still seems a little cloudy. For those that are currently running a uv sterilizer, what unit are you using and are you running it 24/7? I don't have a lot of room in my sump so I will have to use either an inline or HOB unit. Also, will this have any adverse effects on my bio-pellet reactor?

2. Click Here!

3. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

Don't think UV will clear your algae bloom, you need water change i too have uv installed on back of my tank running when i got water change or add any new fish in the tank and it will not do any effect on your bio pellets

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed. Water changes, vacuuming of rock and sand surfaces, and keeping filters clean and chemical media changed will provide long-term success. There is no "magic bullet" that can replace regular maintenance.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Are you sure it was an algae bloom and not a bacterial bloom??If the tank is cloudy white it is probably bacteria.Your BP make this more likely.

Magnus likes this.
  6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Agree w/ Vinny. If cloudyness is white it is bacteria. I experienced that in the past when dosing vinegar or ascorbic acid.

7. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Sorry about that guys the tank is cloudy white not green. So it was a bateroa bloom not algae. The water is very slightly cloudy. Would just like it to be more clear. Will the UV help clear this up or is it just going to take time. Bloom started when I changed pellets in my reactor. Did not like the ones I was using and switched. The original pellets were only running for two weeks and did not think it would harm anything. Boy was I wrong. Tank instantly clouded up and I was changing filter socks every couple hours for a few days. Tank cleared up in about three weeks.