Uv steralizer?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by martygary, Sep 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. martygary

martygary Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ive got 2 in my 90 gallon and still got ick!! What the h--l?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I like UV for ick. Alot of people will tell you its not going to help, but I think it did. Make sure there is proper flow going through and I bet it clears up.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

A lot of beliefs in this hobby are based on passive observations- i.e., someone added a UV sterilizer to their tank and, unknown to them, the fish's immune system fought off the ich parasites. UV gets the credit.

Fact is, the free-swimming stage is extremely short-lived. The chance of 25% being sucked into the UV before it finds a fish host or dies is slim.

2 people like this.
  5. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Is it possible to say hook up a Uv S. once a month and run it and to run it when you put in newly added fish? Will this help the possibility of killing off bacteria like this?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I will take bad science and live fish over anything. Like I said, i used it, I saw drastic improment over a situation I saw declining over a longer time period. I ran mine 24/7

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Awesome, Thanks. Sorry for Hi-jacking. 8)

8. Click Here!

9. martygary

martygary Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Most of fish are new. So i geuss i just run it and let ick run its course! My fliw through is right!

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

The ich suddenly appeared in your tank? No new anything for over a month?

And what happened to QT all new livestock?

My QT tank, is an empty 5-6 gallon salt bucket, with a cheapo foam filter run by an air stone. I have a small heater when I need it, and I put a piece of 4" PVC in the bottom so they can hide.

Very inexpensive, and works like a charm. Sometimes I put Cupramine, and/or PraziPro in there prophylactically also.

Ever since I was a newbie (still am I guess), and lost about 5 fish to Ich by NOT QT'ing everything, and Adding more than one fish at a time, I always QT now.
    No more livestock losses, etc.

I also use a UV 24/7, I think it helps with algae too- evidence to back it up.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

2 people like this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

AHH, the UV debate. I'm in the middle of Alex(ingtar) and vinny on this. I have a UV filter, its laying in a box and ready for sale. That being said, its not a bad idea. If you research it, it really does squat for Ich, unless you have a MONSTROUS UV filter, as far as actually killing of the Ich. What I think they can help with though is eliminating other bacteria/pathogens etc, which the fish then in turn, don't have to fight off, which, in turn, leaves them stronger and healthier, so they can fight the ich better.

But research how MUCH UV light over HOW LONG of duration it takes to kill ich, chances are you can't afford that Uv light;) And then factor in how little Ich actually spends in the water column to get sucked up in a UV and it doesn't add up. But IMO, not a bad idea, it doesn't hurt anything I guess, except your pod population a bit;)

1 person likes this.