UV light and ICH

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by serotonin, May 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Since my coral beauty seems to be the only fish in my tank that is an ICH magnet I decided it was time to add a UV light to my system. I'm wondering if anyone has or is using one made by Jebo. I just bought a Jebo 36 Watt UV Sterilizer off ebay for 75$. I didn't really want to spend 300$ on a sterilizer and im sure you get what you pay for. Any comments on this brand?

I only intend to run this light long enough to be sure to eradicate the ICH that most likely remains in my tank. (or at least reduce it to a minuscule amount) Do I need to run this light indefinitely or for a given time period?

8) Thx all

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Before anything, the UV will help eradicate most ich parasites but some may still linger on the fish. One thing I've noticed is that they will always be some lingering in the water, so you will ocassionally see one or two on your fish, but eventually will go away the next day or later in the day if you keep your fish's immunity up.

4. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

i have a jebo but i dont think its a 36 i think i have the 18 watt.. i havent had any problems with mine at all.. i have been running it 24/7

5. serotonin

My coral beauty just got out of QT for treatment of ICH, but was the only fish in the tank with signs of the parasite. I saw 3 tiny spots on its face last night and freaked out and bought a UV light to help prevent this from being a problem in the future. I noticed today at lunch that all the spots are gone, so it seems its immune system is working a lot better than it was a month ago;D. Better safe than sorry at this point I figure

Thanks, appreciate the input!

6. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

Ich is like politics, alot of opinions and everybody thinks they are right.

So something for you to think about. Ick is in just about everybodies tank. A fish is sick/stressed when it gets ick. My question is, what's stressing out your fish?

7. serotonin

So true about all of the fishkeeping world IMO :D

I don't think there is much to stress out the fish, but I could be wrong no doubt. Water parameters are all normal and have been that way for months. Temp is always a constant 80F. I just added 25lbs of live rock and a 220 super skimmer just before the fish was added back into the MT. I don't see how that could be anything but good.

The fish is only getting just a few dots mainly on the front 1/4 of its body. Nothing too bad at this point ( or before it was put in QT ) I am pretty curious why it is SO susceptible to this parasite myself :confused: as I don't see signs of stress or other illness from the fish.

./shrug

Thanks for the replies all!

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You will always have ich lingering around, but the UV will help eradicate a good percentage of them, if the UV unit is reliable for that matter. Feed your beauty some food rich in vitamin c and garlic to keep his immunity at bay.

10. serotonin

I haven't found any food other than forumla 2, that this fish will eat. I think it has a decent amount of vitamin C. No clue if they have added any garlic to the mix.

11. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Try buying Kent Marine C. Soak the food in it, than feed them.