UV Intensity

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fishez, May 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I just got an aqua UV 15 watt sterilizer and I can find any information about what the UV kills at what inensity the only thing I could find was that algae get killed at 22,000 µw/cm2 , the UV I got is 90,000 µw/cm2 @ 175 gph and thats what I run it at but I dont know if this is killing the free floating ich. If anybody can help me out here Id apreciate it.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

UV kills most anything that is floating in the water.
    The thing with ICH is that it is not free floating in the tank very long so would be hard to get it to go through the UV filter.

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Its in its free floating stage for about 12 - 16 hours , so @ 175 gph running for 14 hours will completly cycle my tank over 81 times so this should get most of the fee floaters. I just want to know how much intensity I need to kill it.

5. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

pathogenic bacteria, protozoa and virus are killed at around 15,000 µW sec/cm2. Ich falls into that catagory. The concept as to how it works with ich is that at some stage the ich parasite comes out of hibernation and goes after the fish. it is at that time that the UV has a crack at it. WIth the flows in our tanks and the pump feeding the uv its a good chance.
    Bottom line with ich is that a fish wont get it if its not stressed or injuried so keep them healthy and its not a problem.
    Ps: i have had a uv on all my tanks and have not had a case of ich in almost 15 years. dont know if it pertains but I am not experimenting, lol

Mike

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Thanks Mojo.
    I have never had ich and don't want to have to deal with it...

7. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

cool, thanks 4 the info mojo

8. Click Here!

9. Rick_Newton

Rick_Newton Plankton

Does UV kill good/benefical stuff also? I'm setting up a new FOWLR and sand bed and debating wether or not to install. What about on a reef only tank?

Thanks for the help

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Rick_Newton link=board=Filters;num=1085855269;start=0#6 date=08/29/04 at 10:04:30]Does UV kill good/benefical stuff also?[/quote]

Yes. UV does not discriminate.

11. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I've been thinking about getting a UV unit also, but not so sure it's a good idea with the various filter feeders in my tank (squamosa clam, feather duster and various other things). As UV does got discriminate, it seems that it would nuke all of the phytoplankton that these critters need to live, no? Anybody use one with similar livestock?