Utter Frustration

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by sholly, Apr 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sholly

sholly Plankton

Set up a 125gallon last may. 30 gal sump with skimmer and calcium reactor. 2X150W MH 14K and 4X54 T5s. Temp 78-81. Calcium ~420 dkH 11 Nitrate <5

Tank was stocked with 2 angels (flame and flameback), yellow tang, six line, midas blenny, diamond goby, maroon clown, 2 anthias. Coral: brain, frogspawn, plate, large montipora, duncan, green birds nest, various shrooms and palys.

Last September all fish with the exception of the two angels died in a two week period. The only symptoms were the fish's color faded and they all had white/cloudy eyes and they all appeared to be breathing rapidly. Once these symptoms set in the fish were dead within 3 days.

I waited 4 weeks and threw in a few damsels-all died (except the two angels) within 3 weeks with the same symptoms.

I waited 3 months and slowly started to add some more fish. All was going well until last week. The 2 PJ cardinals, royal gramma and yellow tang that I had added over the last 2 months all died in a one week period.

I am lost. I do not know how to proceed. Throughout this ordeal my coral have done great. Based on this I do not think water chemistry/contamination is the problem. I am pretty sure that this must be bacterial/viral in nature however I have no idea how to identify. Additionally I can not understand why the two angels are happy and health.

Any suggestions???

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

How big is the tank? I know Angels can be very territorial so maybe they are stressing out your other fish causing them to fade away. Also, where do you get your fish from? Could be the source maybe?

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Sounds like velvet, except for the 3 month fishless period. Are you getting your fish from the same place?

5. sholly

sholly Plankton

It is a 125gallon. I thought the same thing about the angels so I added a large Tang and a large Clown. The angels did not mess with these but yet they died.

As far as the store goes I buy from what most consider the most reputable stores in the Tampa area. I do not think that is the source plus the two angels came from the same store.

6. barbianj

Unless you quarantined yourself, anything is possible.

7. sholly

sholly Plankton

I thought it was velvet as well. I did treat the tank for velvet using a product specific for velvet and it still came back.

Clarification: The three months were not fishless. The two bionic angels were still in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

Personally, I would leave the tank fishless for 6-8 weeks, then quarantine and treat new arrivals.

Without a positive ID, it's just a guess as to what happened, but you know that the problem is repeating itself. Need to do something different.

10. sholly

sholly Plankton

That was my thought but I can not catch the two angels and I really do not want to take out all of the live rock to get to the fish. Also what would i do with the fish? If I do not know what disease they have I can not treat them and if I don't cure them they will most likely reinfect the tank. Correct???

11. barbianj

I treat all of my fish in QT with Prazi Pro, then Cupramine, even the angels.

There's always a way to catch a fish, bottle trap, fishing line, dividers, etc.