Using Stock BioCube 29 or BioCube 29HQI

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by AZBioCube29, Apr 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZBioCube29

AZBioCube29 Plankton

I am looking to start a new tank. Thinking about BioCube 29 or BioCube 29HQI. Does anyone have any experience using either of this tanks with the stock equipment? I've had numerous suggestions to upgrade them, but really want to know if anyone has had any success using either "as is". Is there a heat issue with either tank running stock lighting? What are your recommendations for stocking the tank? Anyone using the BioCube Protein Skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

We have a standard BC29 and used it completely stock for ~9 months before modding it pretty substantially. We have 4 fish in it and several assorted soft/LPS colonies (see sig for complete stock list). Basically the system works pretty well as-is, but the stock PC lights are a bit underwhelming. Recent mods include:

-Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED modules x3
    -Tunze protein skimmer
    -Intank media basket (Purigen + Chemipure + some left over bioballs) I have a fuge light for it but I'm hesitant to put it in for heat reasons since the temp runs right around 79 as is.
    -DIY ATO

Member Biocube has a heavily modded BC29 as well and has a really good thread on modding it. I certainly used it for reference...

1 person likes this.
  4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

From what I have experienced the standard BC will have heat issues in the summer time, I don't have any experience with the HQI version. I am going to assume if you get the HQI and upgrade the return pump you should be okay in the summer. Hopefully someone can chime in about the HQI.

I picked the standard BC because I knew I was going to change out my lights and mod it, to me thats the best part of this hobby. If you want good growth and the ability to support a vast amount of corals without modding then pick the HQI.

P.S.
    Thanks elwolfe for the kind words.

5. cheesyguy

cheesyguy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was in the market for a BC29, what kind of heat issues do you mean? with stock lights?

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My stock BC would hit 81 by noon with stock lights installed, now that I have LED I am only ay 77.8 all day.

I still have fans installed that turn on when the water hits 78.2 but it only kicked on when the apartment was at 78.0.

7. Chuyr

Chuyr Astrea Snail

How much was the lighting? i am also intrested in getting a 29g biocube but trying to do as much research as possible.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

It depends what LED light you want. Four large options are...
    Kessil a150/a350
    AI Nano (Usually Blue)
    Ecoxotic Panorama PRO's and Stunner LED strips
    DIY LED kits
    HTH

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I did the RapidLED kit (DIY) and it set me back only 275.00
    Solderless Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit - Rapid LED

I have added a lot more to my light, I think total I am sitting at 600 total, but I have gone a little overboard.

11. Chuyr

Chuyr Astrea Snail

sweet but its an awwsome set up. non the less i wanted a biocube but didnt know if the hqi would be worth it.