Using "Refresh" for the first time.

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by MrOcean, Oct 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

I'm using "Refresh" for the first time in a 30 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump. Considering rock/sand/sump I'm underestimating at 30 gallon total volume just to be safe. I don't want to overdose so I'm doing one cap full once a day for three days. Turning the skimmer off overnight each day after the dosage.

I'm battling a pretty bad green cyano problem. After the initial three day full dose how long should I wait to repeat? How quick will I see a result to know if I even need to do a second dosage?

After the tank clears I plan on switching to "Waste Away" at least once a month or when I do a major cleaning.

2. Click Here!

3. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello

After the initial dosing wait 2-3 days add start with the waste-away to turn the dead/decaying bacteria and material into pelagic bacteria that the skimmer can remove. Basically, the cycle is kill the cyano and turn the dead material into bacteria that the skimmer and remove, repeat two - three times and your problem should be gone.

Cheers

Drtim

4. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

DrTim, thanks so much!

5. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

You're welcome

6. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

DrTim, just a quick update/question. The cyano seems to not be spreading as fast and turning brown in some spots.

What concerns me is it is turning a much darker shade of green in places such as on the sand bed. Is this normal? I assume the turn to brown means it is dying but does the darker shade of green mean the same?

I did my first dose of "Refresh" then did my first half dose of "Waste Away". I'm waiting until Thursday then repeating.

Thanks.

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

The situation is that as the cyanobacteria starts to die off and decay this provides nutrients that other organisms can use which is why you want to start with the waste-away to turn those nutrient into bacteria that the skimmer can remove.

Sometimes you have to hit the tank with the Re-Fresh/Waste-Away combo a few times to get a head of the stuff that was already in the tank. Be patience and keep at if and the tank will clean up.

8. Click Here!

9. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

I wanted to express my overall rating of these products. One word - Excellent! It's been several weeks and the cyano is almost entirely non-existent in my system. Granted it took quite a few doses of "Refresh" followed by "Waste Away" but it was well worth it. I haven't seen my rocks this clean since I started the tank and my sand bed although not entirely clear yet is about 90% free of any unsightly algae!

Absolutely no negatives to the softies, inverts or fish as far as my eye can see! I will soon be ordering a much larger quantity of both products and using them as part of my routine maintenance schedule.

For anyone interested in a natural way to rid your system of nasties - check out DrTim's!