Using Refresh and waste away

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by cees50, May 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cees50

cees50 Plankton

Hi,

I'm living i the Netherlands, and theres not anyone in the Netherlands who sells drtims. So i ordered on line ;)

I have a tank with the measurement 70x70x70. The volume water inclusive the sump is 350 liter. I use fresh seawater. I have some trouble with algae and cyano bacteria, and the water stinks :-/

What did i do?
    Changed 100 litres of water
    I removed as much as possible the algae and cyano
    First day i dosed 40ml refresh
    day three i dosed again 40ml refresh

I saw that the cyano isn't growing anymore, so i dosed on day 6 again 40 ml refresh. The second result is that my water smells like normal seawater ;D

Now i have some questions:
    Do i have to continue the doses Refresh and for how long?
    When do i started to dose the waste away and for how long ?
    Before i dose the waste away do i have to change 10 % water? ( and then remove again the most algae that i can remove) or should i first dose the waste away, and after how many days i change the 10 % water?

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello All

Especially 3reefers who are located in Europe. We now have a distributor to stores and consumers located in Denmark and our products are in stock.

Called NordicReef Shop you can contact them at [email protected]

Glad to read things are getting better.

You might add a third and final dose just to knock the cyanobacteria back really well. After that you may not have to dose again unless you start to see the cyano starts to come back

72 hours (3days) after the final Re-Fresh dosing start adding the waste-away. Start with 1/4 of a dose. If the water turns cloudy do not add anymore until the water clears and use the same dosage amount. If the water remains clear wait 48 hours and add more but increase the dose to 1/2. Continue until you are able to add the full dose.

Yes this is good idea. Change before adding water and especially remove as much dead and dying algae as possible. After that you can do water changes are you normally do.

Thanks

DrTim's Aquatics

4. cees50

cees50 Plankton

Thats were i got mine ;D

Thanks for you're answer. It works great! Friday i give it an other dose refresh, then i wait till monday and i gonna get rid of the dying algae and change 10 % water. Then i put the dose waste away in it.

So far so good ;D

5. Wildflanders

Wildflanders Plankton

Size and skimmer

Hola from Spain
    I have just received from our Danish friends refresh and waste away and dying to get home and get them going, but this post gave me a queastion. Cees50 mentions that he has a 350 liter tank inclusive of the sump. Do I need to add the size of the sump when calculating the dosage?

Also the Mark from nordicreefs suggested that I switched off the skimmer 12 hours when adding the products. What are your thoughts Dr.? Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012