using my crawl spaced for a chiller

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Marie0912, Jul 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

But IMO, you can't compare ocean temps to what we need in our tanks. The ocean compared with my tank.... they are two different entities.

Has anyone ever tested the oxygen in there tank for every degree higher than 80? It drops pretty dramatically as the numbers climb up.

But our corals/fish come from different areas... we'll never find a happy temp for all.

2. Click Here!

3. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

How? Our pets come from the ocean. Do we not need to mimic their natural environment to the best of our meager ability?

Has anyone tested the oxygen level of the ocean's surface near a reef where temps are near 90? If temperature affects the amount of dissolved oxygen that saltwater can contain, does that not work the same in the wild? I posted this link earlier, but for the sake of this discussion, here it is again...

Reef Tank Temperatures - How High is Too High?

Now there's a statement I can agree with wholeheartedly!! The sad part is that to say something came from the Caribbean or Indian Ocean means nothing. What we really need to know, and what the LFS can't tell us, is at what depth a particular critter was found. Depth means everything. It dramatically affects the amount of light, as well as the temp, for which that critter is used to in it's natural environment. And personally, I attribute that to the demise of many, many corals and inverts that perish despite our efforts.

Cheers

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Our tanks are small in comparison with the ocean. It's a much more stable environment and little things like change in temperatures in not going to affect the critters there as it does in our tanks. There is even a big difference in nano tanks when compared with say, a 100g tank.

We try to replicate.... we cannot duplicate.

We do a poor job of replicating, IMO, unless one is setting up a ecosystem for a particular area. Like my plans for a north east cold water tank. I will take all things from that area only and try to make it as natural as I can. That's an honest to goodness attempt at replication... but I will never be able to duplicate what they have in the wild.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is pretty much the same concept used for geo-thermal energy for homes. This is just a much smaller scale. I like the idea.

6. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

Excellent perception. Best of luck with your NECW tank. ;)

Cheers

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Before being dissabled I worked in HVAC and geothermal as well,and completly agree.The idea would work,but the depth,amount of coils needed,and the powerful pump that would be required(not to mention all the digging required).The pex or poly tubing needed can be expensive and is relatively inefficent.Living in Ohio geothermal around here is used more for extracting heat out of the ground than for cooling.It could work but the time,trouble and cost would far outway the benefits.K+ to droopy.

8. Click Here!

9. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

I live in new york state so the ground is pretty cool. My crawl space is 4' deep and i am gonna dig maybe 3 more feet.

10. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

Have you begun, or decided a route to take? This thread is interesting.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Not to step on the GEO Engineers toes, but guys there is one thing I really don't think you have taken in account... Her house is always sitting over the crwall space and I will guarentee if its anything like mine used to be there is at least a10 degree differance in temp.

But I do agree about the amount of tubing your going to need a Boatload and a pretty good pump to push it through all that tubing.

Use the fans, I run 4, 12volt 120MM computer fans down on my sump to keep my reef tank temp down and they drop it by 4 to 6 degrees depending on what the room temp is.

The are several reasons I use the 12v computer fans. Cost is one because I can get them cheap, I just bought 12 of them for $12.99. An noise is another reason, they are super quiet.

12. billzuk1

billzuk1 Plankton

I heard of aguy that used one of those small refrigerators as a chiller.
    He used it for a Bio-cube fitted with a magnum filter.He stuck the magnum in the frig and it worked great.Kinda funky.