Used bulb, any good?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Stingray, May 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I bought a 2 week old bulb with the light unit(bargain will use unit as spare) £30,

The bulb is Boyu HQI 150watt, anybody know if they are any good?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Stingray

might be OK short term but I would monitor my corals a bit more often whilst testing it

Boyu as you probably know are a Chinese company, and whilst I have no experience of this particular lamp, I would hesitate to use it myself, due to fact local produce has a reputation for losing its colour spectrum much faster than the better quality lamps would

I have tried other local brands of MH lamp and have found they deteriorate far quicker than the imported ones I can get by XM for example

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

One thing I've learned is, "you get what you pay for". Especially with lighting, that is not something you want to take shortcuts with because it can directly cause major problems IMO. Keep a close eye on it like Steve said, once you start to lose the spectrum you will see a change. You might also see more algae and a yellow tint if the bulb is completely bad.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Buying used lightning is like buying a car that doesn't have a mile counter on it, you don't truly know how long it's been used.

6. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Ok, thanks for replys,
    The bulb is to be used for the time being, while the tank cycled, a couple of small fish and soft corals are all that will be in there for a few months, when I start adding lps im looking at this bulb, it seems to be a better quality then the other cheap makes on ebay and any feedback would be great,
    Thanks

BLV Nepturion 150w 20000k Marine Halide Lamp Bulb Tube | eBay

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I like the Phoenix 14k bulbs myself. But they are very blue for a 14k. When it comes to bulbs you get way you pay for. I would go for a brand name IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

OP

Phoenix 14k all the way