Use of PVC / plastic elements - leaching issues?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by OnefishTwofish, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Hello to All,

A question for those of you who have used eggcrate, PVC, or zipties etc to do your aquascaping - did you experience a lot of diatoms etc as a result of introducing these elements into your tank? If so, how long did it go on for?

I will likely being using a combination of PVC / plastic elements with my new rockwork as part of my slow-moving upgrade project (moving my existing tank contents into a bigger better tank). I ordered dry rock from reefcleaners which will be used to create the new rock structures.

I realize that the dry rock does not need a true "cycle" but what about all the new pvc elements used to hold the rock together? Just wondering if I have to make the structure(s) then cycle them in a trash can or something.

2. Click Here!

3. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

The dry rock will still cycle as there will be stuff trapped inside but the PVC should have no effect on anything

4. OnefishTwofish

Thank you for your response :)

I was wondering about silicates in particular.

I am just hoping i will be able to place the new "clean" structure into the bigger tank and add my existing stuff around it to seed it. I do plan to blow it clean and rinse it to eliminate dust etc.

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Any new plastics you add to a tank will cause a small diatoms Bloom most of the time. weather it is PVC or a new skimmer most times it isn't a big deal and gos away on its own.

6. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

The dry base rock will not cause as big a cycle as LR but you can still cycle the tank by using a piece of shrimp or something like that. This I think is one of the mistakes i made when i started my tank. I had a very small cycle with base rock only and thought that was good enough. It wasn't. If you are adding your old LR though that should be fine.

the plastics will leach silicates but this is unavoidable really. you will get it from pumps, power heads etc anyway.I used egg crate under my rock, i had a lot of diatoms but I don't more than average. you will just get ur normal diatom bloom for a little while.

Good luck

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

As stated above any new plastic will leach silicates and cause a diatom bloom. It's not very big and doesn't last long before they use up the nutrient and starve out.;D

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It depends on the rock. I've cycled just dry rock and reached about 3-5 ppm ammonia which was far more then when I cycled with pre-cured rock where I never even detected ammonia. It sounds like you added too much livestock at once for the amount of bacteria you had.

I am confused on what you plan on doing. Are you wanting to add the dry rock and your current rock at the same time? If so, depending on how much dry rock you're adding and how much live rock you already have, then you may encounter a substantial cycle, so you shouldn't have any livestock in that tank until it is over. IMO, the best thing to do is to cycle the dry rock on its own, then add it to the new tank. Good luck.

10. OnefishTwofish

That is what I was wondering - what if I cleaned the new dry rock etc, built the structure then cycled that in a rubbermaid tub or trash can?

I am basically replacing my 29g tank with a 50g tank - in the spot where the 29 currently sits - and the rock / cycle issue is the lynchpin. I just ordered the dry rock from reefcleaners. I will likely use some of my current rock to help seed the new stuff but i plan to "retire" a lot of the undesireable pieces from my "original starter rock" as well.

But there will be more new dry rock than existing rock in the tank. I am going to use new dry sand as well and save my current sand for the fuge / seeding.

Hope this clarifies my intent a bit better.

At this rate, maybe I have to move the 29g somewhere and keep it running somehow while the new tank actually cycles. Just trying to sort out logistics. :)

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would cycle the new rock in a separate tank then. Then you don't really need to worry about cleaning it too well and you won't risk a crash.

12. OnefishTwofish

Let's say I did that...would it help to put a piece or two of my current live rock in there while it cycles?

Also - what is the minimal equipment needed to do this? A couple of koralias and a heater?

I was hoping that when I did make the switch out that I would use as much of my water from the 29g to smooth the transition. from the 29g to the 50.