Use of Phosban

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by scoterri, Feb 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scoterri

scoterri Plankton

Hi all. Happy Valentines day!!!

levels :

Calcium 500

Alk 12.2

PO4 1

I added some Phosban about a week ago but haven't seen any change ion my PO4 levels ( 1ppm). How longs does it take? The test kit info says this to too high for coral growth.

I just added 75g (half the container) to the little mesh bad inside the jar, and placed it under my bio-ball area, before the sponge. Will this work, or does it have to have one of those reactors??

if so, where do I get one, any good sugestions?

thanks all

Scoterri

2. Click Here!

3. scoterri

scoterri Plankton

did I spell Phosban right?

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

What a BIG set of wings you have...

are they real???

:)

5. scoterri

scoterri Plankton

All yours scoffer, all yours !!! Now behave yourself and let me get an answer to my question...LOL.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

heh.
    I haven't used phosban yet because I am waiting for the reactor. If our sponsors don't have one, you can try Drs. Foster and Smith, although I think it's on backorder and they are supposed to have more in today.

The reason people are going with the reactors is that it forces the water through all the media. Whereas a bag on it's own in the sump allows water to go around it.

So I think where you have it is a decent choice but probably may take a while to be effective. Ask Jason McKenzie what his experience was. I think he has gone both routes here.

matt

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Matt is correct. I have the reactor now but have used Rowaphos in a bag to aid in the removal of PO4. I have little experience with phosban but believe it works in a similar way. It is more effective if you are able to force water through it, but does a good job in the fashion you have used. I would test again in a few days. Also remember it is possible that your test kit is not able to measure results as low as the levels in your tank. It may be giving you a 1ppm because that is as low as it can accurately measure. So you may find it takes a few days to get zero PO4
    I would also recommend a light sand bed stir in order to ensure you do not have a Phosphan problem in your sand that is slowly leaching into the water.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

phosban problem in my sand?? like phosban particles that have settled into the sand? or did you mean a phosphate problem in my sand??

:) thanks guys....

Sco

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Sorry What I meant to say was phosphate problems in the sand
    I'm really sick and my brain isn't really working

J

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Jason,

I know you were distracted by the big wings....admit it! LOL!!!!!

sorry..... ;D ;D ;D

12. scoterri

scoterri Plankton

too funny ....LOL [smiley=biglaugh.gif] Thanks for the feedback.... I think we will just wait a little longer , check it again and hopefully see the levels moving in the right direction.