Use a lid or cover of some sort?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by J-Lane, Aug 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. J-Lane

J-Lane Plankton

Hello, I have a question about my first reef tank. I bought a used 90 gallon tank with stand and matching top. My question is whether or not I should put a lid or cover over the tank. The reason I ask is the previous owner was using metal halide lighting and had two fans to help keep things cool but the fans and some of his wiring had succumbed to the salt water and humidity. I don't intend on using the fans as I bought two AI Hydra light heads and they seem to stay fairly cool with the built in fans. My concern is the cost of the lighting was not cheap and I was thinking a glass or Plexiglas lid on the tank would help to limit the salt taking its toll on my Hydras. However I am also concerned that this may affect the light penetration or the possibility of things growing on the lids affecting the lighting as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I had bought a glass cover for my 90G before I knew better.

Bad things about a glass cover: more salt creep, less light penetration, less gas exchange, higher tank temperature. Also, condensation can sometimes build up on the underside of the cover, adding even more reduction in light penetration.

Good things about a glass cover: Fish CANNOT jump out (unless it somehow has the force to knock it over), less evaporation, potentially less noise

I didn't list all the pros and cons, and they may not all apply to every case of someone using a glass top.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

goto BRS and get their clear mesh then to Lowes or HD and build a screen. Super easy, looks nice, and wont kill your fish when the jump into it.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've used a glass cover on all my tanks with no problems. They do a great job of reducing evaporation and keeping the SW off the light fixtures, and light loss is minimal as long as they're kept clean. One must ensure that it's not airtight however, to prevent loss of gas exchange.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I agree with Bill. Keep them clean and not air tight (I use mesh to cover up the openings) and you should be all set.

7. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Astrea Snail

This ^, best lid ever.

8. Click Here!

9. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I have an open top tank with LED lighting as well, and I haven't noticed any salt creep on the lighting. My guess is that the last owner's issue with salt creep on his lights where probably a result of the fans need to keep the water cool with the halides warming up the water.

I personally like the look of an open top tank, but if you really need a lid to to keep fish in, then the mesh idea listed by ingtar_shinowa is a great way to go.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

All my reefs are open top, haven't had a cover in over 10 years with no problems.

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

She pretty much summed it up, personally i would never fully seal my tank and i have yet to lose a fish to a carpet surf (knock on wood)

Here is my set up....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375978846.155260.jpg

12. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

I had a closed glass top and replaced it with clear mesh.
    the Clear Mesh keeps the fish in and there is no light reduction, but it will not prevent salt creep on the lights.

I agree with OnlyTono that the salt creep was do to the fans he had to keep the tank cool from the MH.

I think you will be fine with a totally open top (depending on the fish you keep) or clear mesh (if you have known jumpers like Gobies or Dart Fish).