US Supreme Court allows sonar use

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The ping pong continues. :p

BBC NEWS | Americas | US Supreme Court allows sonar use

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good, considering there is no scientific evidence to back up the theory that sonar kills/injures marine life. There are far more important things these "groups" could be doing to actually help the enviroment.

4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Like the >10,000 whales Japan, Norway & Iceland have killed since 1986 for "science." Japan hasn't documented even one in a scientific study.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am not sure where you get the 'no evidence' part. Keep in mind this particular sonar kicks out 200 decibels. Hard to imagine that that doesn't harm marine life.
    Plenty of scientists believe that it is harmful:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/environmental/sonar-may-cause-whale-deaths-29562.html
    BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Undersea noise 'does harm whales'

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Sorry to go against you, but at least in my book, "might", "may", and "could be" are not scientific evidence, rather just theories.
    Also, keep in mind that both sperm and blue whales requalrly kick out sonar in the 10-20hz range and at 200 decibels themselves naturally, just in regular communication and hunting. Sperm whales can even go much more powerful during fights against one another for intimidation and show of dominance.
    So if it was true that 200 decibels of low frequency sonar was seriuosly harming whales, wouldn't it be also true that just as many are being harmed by themselves?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Decent points. I am not sure and by no means an expert... there are been enough whale strandings around these tests to make me concerned though.