US Bill HR 669 (banning trade of non natives)

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Catfish Charlie, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catfish Charlie

Catfish Charlie Astrea Snail

This is a bill that has been introduced that would ban the transportation either internationally into the United States or from State to state. Which would mean no more buying fish and inverts at your LFS, or at least very limited, it would kill mailorder and no more trading frags across state lines.

Most likely it will die and never be passed, and PIJAC (Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council) is already fighting it on our behalf.

Here is a link to the page at PIJAC with the information.

HR 669 Forum - Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

That would be awful. It would all but kill our hobby in states that aren't on reef coasts.

4. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

If people would be responsible politicians and the government would not feel the need to think of things such as this.

5. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

If politicians didn't accept money from special interests, complete garbage like this bill would never find it's way into committee, let alone out of it. Government is by Constitutional mandate a representative of the people not a restriction upon the people. Sadly most inside the beltway forgot this at the door.

Tell you what, read the US Code. ALL of it (I have). Then come back and say that again. I'm betting you'll be surprised what's in there, and how it's been used and misused. When you get done you can tackle the US Internal Revenue Service Tax Code. It's 60,000+ pages of complete garbage. These people don't care in the least so long as someone comes along with grease they'll vote where the money is.

There's a rich guy at the end of this bill waiting for his payoff, just like at the end of every other bill they pass. In this case it's probably PETA or the ilk who believe that keeping pets is a crime against their "rights". I'm done ranting now because I'm going to cross the line on language.

6. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

I have no desire to read the US Code and special interests is part of politics and not just in the US.

But you cannot sit there and blame special interests for it all, if people would be responsible and stop dumping non-native animals into the wild these types of bills would not go as far as they do.

This is a problem and non-native animals can wreck a eco-system.

Look at Florida, and the various reptiles in the wild there now, dumped there by pet owners and now they breed and cause even more issues.

The lion fish didn't get there alone, ships may be part to blame, but the pet trade and owners are not innocent.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Political discussions are a no-no. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.