Urgent wiring of metal halide

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by geologeek, Dec 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

please can someone help???

Just recieved my metal halide bulb, but the retards have sent me a double ended rather than the single ended with mogul that i asked for!

Now their technical staff have left for xmas and the cant tell me which end of the bulb is live and which is neutral (+ and -)

can anybody shed some light as it will be expensive if i get it the wrong way round i assume!

HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

What are the colors of the wires? The black is the hot wire and the white is the neutral.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

4. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Sorry but both wires are white!!! but do you know which end of the bulb should have positive feeding into it?

one side of the bulb has funny contraptions either side (inside outer sleve i mean) and the other just a curved wire1

thanks for the help.

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Sorry I do not know, and to be honest I do not think it matters. But knowing me it would make a difference :-/
    Good luck
    Jim

6. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Thanks any way i think ill just give it a couple of days and see if i can find out.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=geologeek link=board=ASAP;num=1103814473;start=0#2 date=12/23/04 at 08:57:42]Sorry but both wires are white!!! but do you know which end of the bulb should have positive feeding into it?

one side of the bulb has funny contraptions either side (inside outer sleve i mean) and the other just a curved wire1

thanks for the help.[/quote]

I also dont think it matters :) If the wires were a different colour then you think that maybe there is a difference, but if they are the same colour how would you tell anyway?

Is there a wiring diagram on the ballast?

With single ended ( edison base ) MH bulbs the active wire is connected to the end of the lamp but this is more of a safety issue than an operational one.

I guess the other point is that we a referring to AC current so it really should not matter which way around the connections go :)

JOhn

8. Click Here!

9. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Thanks all for the input! Its all wired in and working well! I am new to MH and cant believe the difference between this and tubes!!!

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yup! Once you go MH you never go back! ;) [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif]