Urchin Reproduction

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mikejrice, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Does anyone know anything about urchin reproduction? My pincushion has been secreting a stringy white substance for about 10 minutes now. What do you think? Pooping? Reproduction? I managed to get my camera on the tripod and snap off some pictures but wont have them loaded until later tonight if I can get on again.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

"Reproduction: Fertilization is external. Female Sea Urchins release several million tiny, jelly-coated eggs at a time. Eggs or sperm are released through five gonopores. As they develop, the tiny larvae (called the pluteus, which have bi-lateral symmetry) swim in the sea and are a component of zooplankton. It takes several months for juvenile sea urchins to form. The time from fertilization to a reproductive adult is from 2 to 5 years."

-http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/invertebrates/echinoderm/Seaurchin.shtml

By the sounds of it my urchin won't be able to reproduce successfully alone, but it is making zooplankton lol. My skimmer is going nuts. I don't think I can even leave the house or it will overflow.
  4. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

LOL...poor skimmer.... would of been cool if it was reproducing.
  5. mikejrice

Here's the picture I promised.

Attached Files: