Urchin Reproduction

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mikejrice, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Does anyone know anything about urchin reproduction? My pincushion has been secreting a stringy white substance for about 10 minutes now. What do you think? Pooping? Reproduction? I managed to get my camera on the tripod and snap off some pictures but wont have them loaded until later tonight if I can get on again.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

"Reproduction: Fertilization is external. Female Sea Urchins release several million tiny, jelly-coated eggs at a time. Eggs or sperm are released through five gonopores. As they develop, the tiny larvae (called the pluteus, which have bi-lateral symmetry) swim in the sea and are a component of zooplankton. It takes several months for juvenile sea urchins to form. The time from fertilization to a reproductive adult is from 2 to 5 years."

-http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/invertebrates/echinoderm/Seaurchin.shtml

By the sounds of it my urchin won't be able to reproduce successfully alone, but it is making zooplankton lol. My skimmer is going nuts. I don't think I can even leave the house or it will overflow.

4. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

LOL...poor skimmer.... would of been cool if it was reproducing.

5. mikejrice

Here's the picture I promised.

Attached Files: