Urchin is wayyyy too big!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Froc3, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

How does one remove, or even sell, an urchin that is 16" across... I want more LR, but the urchin wouldn't be able to get around inside the tank. It's a long spined black urchin. If i were to accidentally break a few spines on it's way out, would it survive ok?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It would most likely be fine. Urchins tend to be very nocturnal so you might want to try at night when he is cursing around. Just a thought;D

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

16" across? :eek: holy batfiz, thats massive. would like to see a pic of the puppy. lol. but i do agree , at night would probably be your best chance to remove it safely and easier. good luck froc , now get us a pic.

guy

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

wow, I would be really careful, I'm pretty sure those contain venom...

you would need to get it out by removing the rock it's on or I dunno, leather gloves? I'm interested to see if anyone else has had to handle these...

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

If I had something cursing all night in my tank I'd want to remove it too. ;D

I've seen online stores that sell gloves that are supposed to protect you from lionfish stings that cost around $15. They might help.

7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Yeah, he's got me before - it kind of feels like a bee sting tbh, just have to make sure you get the piece of spine that they typically leave behind out of your skin or you run the risk of infection. Yeah i have gloves, i was mostly wondering about the health of the urchin if i try to remove it and end up break a bunch of spines.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

i would imagine where they ended up getting broke would determine how it recovered. . i watched someone give their urchin a "haircut". they nipped all the sharp ends off and it was fine.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

giving it a haircut is the best idea tbh. idk any pet stores that would want a 16 inch spiny urchin. go on youtube and search it. its very easy to do.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I agree, you can give him a hair cut. Someone on here did it before....I can't remember who though. Anyways, that would be your best bet!