UPS Device

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sean_p_f, Mar 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

I am wondering if anyone is runnign a UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply). I am thinking of purchasing one to keep some key elements of my tank running in the event of a power outage and a generator is not an option as i rent where i live.

For those that may be running it what size are you running and how much time do you get from it?

Thanks all

2. Click Here!

3. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ups

Well, first off you will have to gather all the information concerning the power draw of the equipment. This will give you an idea of how many watts @120 volts the system draws. Doing calculations you will get a VA rating. This will determine the size of the UPS as far as capacity required and also give indication how long the UPS will output at rated VA draw. You should look for a unit that will at least run a couple power heads in main tank and one in fuge for circulation. I am in the preliminary stages of building a DIY UPS so as to run my circ pump and a 200 watt heater. My pump draws 93 watts @120 volts and the second heater consumes 200 watts @ 120 Volts. This means I will need a minimum of a 300 VA UPS. Depending on size of the UPS will give length of use on its' charge. Hope that this is of some help.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am using a APC Smart-UPS XL 1000VA I run one Tetrac AP130 deep water air pump with air stones in all three of my tanks. I also run a Korolia nano pump and 2- #2 korolia pumps off of it for a total of about 30 watts

Now this battery will run my desktop, monitor, 2 external hard drives for up to 4.5 hours (tested). I know it ran the air pump and the 3 korolias for 3 hours before I turned the power back because I had to leave, but I figure it would run them for at least 5 hours or more. I don't do a heater because it takes quite a few hours for the tank to drop low enough to do damage due to the house being warm.

Everyone says a generator is the way to go and I can argue that, but unless you prepared to spend 1000's of dollars and get a autostart a generator ain't going to do you no good if you not home and this system will.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Korolias are on a wave timmer, 4 minutes on 6 minutes off.