upgrading lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Blueboy, Oct 26, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

I currently have dual 24-inch fluorescents for my 29-gallon tank. I am planning to upgrade the lighting to power compacts so I can keep corals. Is it better to get dual 50/50s or one actinic and one 10000k.

I am currently looking at the 30" 2x65W Coralife Aqualights with 50/50 bulbs on http://store.yahoo.com/lamps-now/302xcoaqpcho.html and the 29" 2-55W solar compacts with 1 actinic and 1 10000k on http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/aprod_hood_solar.htm The latter is about 20 bucks cheaper but no fans.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I prefer the the true Actinic, make sure they are 03s, and 10,000k lights from petsupply. If you want to change kerlvin ratings or add more white light it gives you more initial flexibility IMO.

4. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Six of one half dozen of the other. Will 30" span your tank or will you nedd mounting legs to make either option a go? I think the Coralife is a little cheaper so if you are really price sensitive...

6. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

My tank is 30 inches long so a 30 incher should not require mounting legs, I have a tight fitting top on the tank that the light can rest on. I take it that both hoods are pretty much the samequality. The prices are so similar that I'm not too overly sensitive on cost. Thanks for the advice. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I am using a corallife on my newest 90 gal setup 48 in 4 65w 2 10k and 2 actinic I think it works great but will switch to mh/pc like the rest of my tanks. The coral life is a plus with the cooling fans I prefer to be able to remove any excess heat when I can.