Upgrading Fixture AGAIN!!! First MH fixture!!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by HollyG, Apr 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

So unfortunately my dual T5 AquaticLife fixture just isn't doing it for my Acros. Even with the 3 LED strips. They are browning out pretty fierce :( So, I have found a Current USA SunPod MH 250w 24" fixture. Comes with a 14K bulb and a replacment 14K bulb. I may even change the bulb to a 20K because that fixture will be putting out A LOT of light for a 10gal. So putting a 20K bulb hopefully won't be so intense for my softies and LPS than a 14K bulb is. The guy is selling it to me for $200 delivered from an hour away. Will this be overkill for my tank? It is also coming with a hanging kit and adjustable legs, but I think I better hang it so the light doesn't kill anything. You guys think I should hang it higher or it sitting on its legs on the tank ok? I will obviously be acclimating. 250w MH is a big jump from T5's. Do I have the right approch to this? This will be my very first MH fixture. I haven't got the fixture yet... We are making plans for tomorrow.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Wow! 250watts of halide is a iot of light for a 10 gal.If it were my tank I think I would try to find a good 4bulb t5.If you really want halide it might be better to try and find a 150watt unit.Hanging it would probably be best as it would help with acclimation and also reduce the amount of heat transfer to the tank.

4. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

For another option I would look at the Rapid LED kit. For $200 you could get plenty for a 10g. I have a rapid kit on each of my cubes and love both of them.

5. HollyG

Yea. That's why I figured hanging it would be best too. I only have a $200 limit and all 4 bulb T5 fixtures I have seen in store or on Canadian online sites are well over $200 :( The 150w MH fixtures are all over my price range aswell unfortunately.
    How high above the tank should I hang the 250w MH do you think?
    In time I think I may actually upgrade the tank to a 20gal when money isn't so much of an issue (probably in the fall).

6. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, Going on their kits for the biocube 14. You could get a lot.
    Retrofit kits - Nano Kits - BioCube 14 - Rapid LED

IMHO even a 150w is excessive for a 10g.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

250w on a 10g, You'll need to hang it about 1- 2 foot above your tank and move all your acros to the sand bed. That light may bleach your corals being too much in a small tank.

I use a 250w mh and my tank is 21" tall and it gets great par on the sand bed, SO id be worried in a 10gl

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

Yea. I am worried about bleaching too. I was going to put a glass lid half way across the top too, to help with filtering teh intensity, but a 250w MH will probably just penatrate right through that lol. I'm really interested in the LED Retro Kits.... I just dunno how about doing it, putting it together. I was also going to sell my current T5 fixture too, so I don't have anything to install the LED kit to? I don't think it will install into my T5 fixture anyway.

10. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

I literally put my biocube14 retrofit kit together for $200 and that was with the plug n play kit and a controller. It took me about an hour and 1/2 to do the wiring. The only wiring you have to do with the plug n play kit is running a wire from the lights to driver, then driver to controller. Its simple splicing and connecting with butt connectors.

11. HollyG

Ok, so I found this 12" Vertex Illumilux LED fixture for $175. This is at Blue World Aquariums, which is in my city like a 15min drive away. Is this a good fixture? Could it support high light demanding SPS corals you think? I will be calling the store when it opens in a few hours to talk to them. They are an awesome store. Very honest and friendly... I know they will tell me if they think it's right or not.

Vertex Illumilux LED Lights | Blue World Aquariums

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

IMHO, that will be more than enough but not overkill like the 250 MH. No disrespect, its only a 10 gallon.