Upgrade to 120Gs: Quiet is Key

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by magnetar68, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Wow. I know there are a lot of satisfied RK customers out there. As far as controlling out lets both are about the same... but ya Apex is way ahead.

First, the wireless board for Vortechs is Vortechs radio frequency. Teh Neptune WXM module can control up to 12 Vortechs. The Vortech drivers still drive the pumps with the built in profiles. but Apex tells it when to jump and how high. Complete control with pump profiles with mode, speed, slave/master/synced/antisynced. Everything. Then you build these profiles and then you program Apex to run X profile now, y profile now, z profile now, back to x then do this... ect. I have 6-8 profiles running at various times through out the day.

Second... Apex... not Apex lite... will control 4 variable out put outlets. So anything with a dimmer... that means Tunze stream pumps, LEDs, anything that has variable control.

Last.... I think what DA was talking about with wireless is the same approach Neptune has taken. They do not want to offer wireless support on board because routers are such a fast changing thing. So with a Apex you need the same gaming adapter to go wireless network. But ya, gaming adapter and my router I had full web acess from anywhere with e-mail and text alerts and full function operation from anywhere. There are now apps out for desktop widgets for iphone and android to have full control right on your phone.

Neptune has salinity probe... but they are expensive and I didn't want to go that route. Thought about hooking it up because I had a automated water change... so since I had control over fresh and salt water I could have salinity probe control that too... but thought that might be asking for it.

Apex warrants a serious look.

2. Click Here!

3. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

Love it. Can't wait to see how this progresses. You sure are putting allot of research into this build.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I love seeing serious experienced reefers talk. haha

Very interesting. This I will be a very nice tank. I can already tell now. It is very well thought out and I look forward to seeing updates.

Subscribed.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I saw the start of your LED build thread and will be following along with that as well. I find this technology to be really interesting.

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

I agree seano it is cool to see experienced reefers in action lol I subscribed as well ;D

Ohh I haven't seen this yet I will have to go find it :p I love LED's ;D

7. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Order the tank

OK, tank is on order. 120G ZeroEdge GetAnEdge arcylic tank. Should take delivery in May.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the plan for Equipment:

Skimmer (in sump): ATB 840 2.0 Standard Cone
    8"-9.5" water level (We can use a stand to raise the skimmer so the flow-through design for the refugium works).
    10.5"L x 14"W x 20"H footprint
    ATB Standard 840 2.0 Conical Advanced Protein Skimmer | ATB USA

Return Pump (in sump): ATB FlowStar 1800
    8"L x 6.5"W x 7"H footprint
    ATB FlowStar 1800 Aquarium Circulation Return Pump | ATB USA
    ATB Flow Star 1800 Circulation Pump - Nemo Marine Systems Online Store (here is where I got the dimensions)

Circulation Pumps (for back recess): Tunze 6085
    3.25" Diameter (the Tunze as a 2.3" diameter magnet, but I might want to upgrade to a Vortech MP40 in the future which has a 3" diameter)
    TUNZE GmbH High-Tech Aquarium Technology: Catalog[predid]=-infoxunter025

Calcium Reactor (needs space in cabinet): Precision Marine CR422
    8.25"L x 9.25"W x 24"H footprint
    Standard Flow Calcium Reactor w/ Pump - CR422

Carbon Rector (needs space in cabinet): TwoLittleFishes Phosban 150
    3"L x 3"W x 14"H
    Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor Details)

GFO Rector (needs space in cabinet): TwoLittleFishes Phosban 150
    3"diameter x 14"H
    Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor Details)

BioPellet Rector (needs space in cabinet): NextReef SMR1
    6" diameter x 16"H
    NextReef | Media Reactors

Chiller (needs space in cabinet?): JBJ 1/4HP DBE-200
    [I may not add a chiller, but would it fit?]
    9.8"L x 16.5"W x 20.9"H
    JBJ Chillers Arctica 1/10, 1/3, 1/4, 1,5

I think it will all fit in the cabinet with the custom sump:
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Updated Lighting Design

I have updated my plans on lighting: basically copying the AquaIllumination SOL Super Blue. Here's the plan:

5.886"x12" Heat Sink (LedGroupBuy.com)
    8 CREE XP-G Cool White 60 degree Optics
    8 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 60 degree Optics
    8 CREE XP-E Blue (or 8 more Royal Blues) 60 degree Optics
    3x MeanWell ELN-60-48D drivers
    1x 120mm Fan

This gives a ~66W fixture. I am thinking about three of them for my 48"x24"x24" tank. That's almost 200W of total LED lighting. Total cost should be around $375 per fixture ($1125 total). I could always add a fourth down the road if I need more lighting.

[​IMG]

60 Degree Optics seemed to be right at 12" above my tank:
    [​IMG]

30 Degree cones represent where the majority of the light falls from 60 degree optics:
    [​IMG]

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I woul dcertainly hold off on the chiller until you know you need one. Even then putting it in the cabinet will not work well. It needs air circulation. If you put it in the stand... then you will have to ventilate the stand.

11. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Of course, but the cabinet is ventilated and I have a fresh air supply into the cabinet and a return out of it to get flow.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Good deal. Obviously, if you HAVE to have one, then they are nice... but I would do everything possible to not need one. I got rid of mine. you already have good equipement, and you would be suprised what a fan will do. Since your cabinet is ventilated and you are going with LEDs... I would be very suprised you need one. A fan over your sump in a ventilated stand would do it if you even need that.

About the only thing I can think of is using one pump for your media reactors. Get one that will do the job but it is more efficient to use one. You plan things very well and you probably know this too... but just understand that even though your return in external, it is still water cooled and you do not save much heat by moving it out of the sump. But overall I would not expect too many heat problems for you.