Upgrade from 55 gallon to 90 gallon...

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by lillys Grandad, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on the upgrade to 90 gallons from 55. ...Had a couple of overflows while I was out of town and the whole aqua lifter / overflow box really sucked in my opinion..So I got me a 90 gallon with the overflow system built in...sweeeeet..
    So here are a few photos to catch ya up...

[​IMG]

Here is the 55 with O/F box...everyone is happy but me...

[​IMG]

New 90 gallon.......

[​IMG]

Base drilled out.... plumbing complete...

[​IMG]

got an old 45 gallon corner tank to do the swap...

[​IMG]

bringing it back...

[​IMG]

all back...used all the water from the 55 plus left the sump/fuge/return alone...reclaimed the crushed coral...just swished it back and forth in the 55 and removed most of the muck...but left the bio intact...for the most part :) got the fluval filtering it out for a few hours...

[​IMG]

still clearing out...all critters back in.

[​IMG]

The next morning things look good...

[​IMG]

getting better...

[​IMG]

I lost a couple of turbos...my large Blue Leg crab died? : ( Had him for 2 years...bummer.. Also lost one of my cleaner shrimp due to putting all my shrimp in a bucket with my snails...did not think about the fact they needed oxygen...damn it..I had him for 2 years also...10 hours in a bucket..I'm/they are lucky it was not longer.
    It has been 24 days since swap out.(done on the 8th of august) Params were a bit jerky for a week or so...did a 10 gallon WC on the 17th...all livestock and params are now stable...I think it tried to do a little cycle..noticed a bit'o cyno...but thats all cleared up. Looks like it was a success...

[​IMG]

Photo taken tody 8/31/09
    all good so far..

[​IMG]

these are today also...

[​IMG]

all happy...

[​IMG]

Just built a new hood..and I am replacing the combo light kit I am using now with all T5...But that will be another thread.

Hope you enjoyed it... Love it when a plan comes together!!

Cheers! GO RAIDERS...damn ..almost choked on that one!! LOL
    LG

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

very nice looks awsome!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Glad to see it went well for ya.I too, have had it with the over flow on my 55. I can't wait I pick up my new 75 rr bow tom..woo hoo...will document like you did..again good job..looks great.

1 person likes this.
  5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Good choice on upgrade

1 person likes this.