Upgrade from 55 gallon to 90 gallon...

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by lillys Grandad, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on the upgrade to 90 gallons from 55. ...Had a couple of overflows while I was out of town and the whole aqua lifter / overflow box really sucked in my opinion..So I got me a 90 gallon with the overflow system built in...sweeeeet..
    So here are a few photos to catch ya up...

[​IMG]

Here is the 55 with O/F box...everyone is happy but me...

[​IMG]

New 90 gallon.......

[​IMG]

Base drilled out.... plumbing complete...

[​IMG]

got an old 45 gallon corner tank to do the swap...

[​IMG]

bringing it back...

[​IMG]

all back...used all the water from the 55 plus left the sump/fuge/return alone...reclaimed the crushed coral...just swished it back and forth in the 55 and removed most of the muck...but left the bio intact...for the most part :) got the fluval filtering it out for a few hours...

[​IMG]

still clearing out...all critters back in.

[​IMG]

The next morning things look good...

[​IMG]

getting better...

[​IMG]

I lost a couple of turbos...my large Blue Leg crab died? : ( Had him for 2 years...bummer.. Also lost one of my cleaner shrimp due to putting all my shrimp in a bucket with my snails...did not think about the fact they needed oxygen...damn it..I had him for 2 years also...10 hours in a bucket..I'm/they are lucky it was not longer.
    It has been 24 days since swap out.(done on the 8th of august) Params were a bit jerky for a week or so...did a 10 gallon WC on the 17th...all livestock and params are now stable...I think it tried to do a little cycle..noticed a bit'o cyno...but thats all cleared up. Looks like it was a success...

[​IMG]

Photo taken tody 8/31/09
    all good so far..

[​IMG]

these are today also...

[​IMG]

all happy...

[​IMG]

Just built a new hood..and I am replacing the combo light kit I am using now with all T5...But that will be another thread.

Hope you enjoyed it... Love it when a plan comes together!!

Cheers! GO RAIDERS...damn ..almost choked on that one!! LOL
    LG
  2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

very nice looks awsome!!!
    1 person likes this.
  4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Glad to see it went well for ya.I too, have had it with the over flow on my 55. I can't wait I pick up my new 75 rr bow tom..woo hoo...will document like you did..again good job..looks great.
    1 person likes this.
  5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Horrid Stonefish

Good choice on upgrade
    1 person likes this.