Unresolved Updated photo Coral ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by tank1970, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I did have this in the coral section and got some great feed back on what type it may be - but once it has acclimatized it changed.
    I have this guy next to a big rock on high flow.
    The inside is a pink/orange the outside is snow white. Comes out partly during the day and extends 3x the size at night. When it's fully closed in looks like a small frozen snow ball.
    Was sold to me as a cauliflower coral - but I don't think so and it's not a chili coral (I have one) since it's white and has defined branches under the feeders.
    calis1.jpg
    flashcali1s.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I swear it looks more like hydroids to me than anything else! I'd be interested to see what others have to say.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Agree...

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Tank I believe it is a NPS coral, very similar to the chili and carnation corals. ID will probably be dependent on the geographical area it came from. I did google chili coral images and did see some that looked very similar. I also went to liveaquaria and looked at their collection of NPS but still have not found an exact match. Still looking though.:)

May we please get a picture of the stem ( stock) and an image of it closed.

TIA

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Go here.

Let's talk about corals to stock in a non-photosynthetic aquarium - Page 2 - Reef Central Online Community

Uhuru will probably know what it is, and perhaps the Moderator here on 3reef Inwall will know as well.

7. tank1970

Yes I will tonight - seems like every time I take photo's I miss it LOL - I will after my hockey game :)

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

10. tank1970

here it is fully extended
    Hope this helps
    cauli2s.jpg

11. element

element Fire Worm

My LFS has one of these for sale. I am going there today and will see what they say it is. I know I asked once before, and they told me but I don't remember. I do recall they said that it was not photosynthetic and like a chili pepper. Not an easy coral to care for. Just what they told me. I will see if they still have it and what the name is.

12. tank1970

That would help big time :)

I am fairly sure it's not photosynthetic - starts to really come out when I put some phyto in the water.