*update* Toadstool not extending polyps?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by MoJoe, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

So, I got a nice gift from a great LFS worker this weekend. He gave me a really large Toadstool for free, funny thing is the other guy wanted to charge me $150 the weekend prior. So, suffice to say, I was a happy camper.

I have seen the Toadstool in the store tank for sometime and I never noticed its polyps being out. They attributed it to it not being in a high flow area.

Well it's been in my tank for about 2 days after acclimating properly in a good flow area. I do see the many bumps for the polyps but it has not extended anything yet. Are there some Toadstools that don't ever extend polyps or will I just have to wait it out for it to be comfortable?

Attached is a pic of it.

Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

• TS.JPG
      TS.JPG
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

does it have a stalk? and 150 would be way too much. toadstools will slough off outer skin when they grow. thats got a weird shape , and doesnt look like a toadstool to me

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yeah the other worker is kind of a jerk quoting me that $150 price, I thought he was nuts. But was pleasantly suprised when the cool guy gave it to me for free.

It does have a small stalk, maybe 3" or so and is attached to a piece of LR. It does look odd in the photo (almost like a cabbage leather) as that's the night I first put it in, it is definitely a toadstool very big when fully open but it's most likely still getting acclimated?

I just wanted to make sure there's no species of Toadstool that doesn't extend, I wanted to get one with a nice polyp cup.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

as far as i inow, they all extend. its prob just sloughing. does it look like the "skin" is a bit mucousy? they can sometimes take a week or so to go through this

1 person likes this.
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'll take a look at it tonight and see how it is. Hopefully it is sloughing and it will open up nice when it's done.

Thanks for the input, appreciated!

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

good luck with it , hope it opens up soon for you. i like the toadstools.

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      378.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

thx, damn now I'm just jealous, awesome TS right there, I gotta give mine a pep talk tonight!

10. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

You can gently rub it and the mucosy skin layer will come off. In probably minutes the tentacles will start to pop out. I would call that a small sized one. Check out my video in my signature below to see mine. It measures about 8-10" across and the stalk is 6-8". This is at its fullest. They get much bigger than that too. I love mine - great score for you!

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

got it, wow nice tank man just checked out the vid, I want some $15 frags like that, and that is a huge TS, awesome! Yeah my TS is def smaller, it was the largest one they had so seemed bigger. I'm antsy to get home and check it out tonight.

12. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Thanks! Can't wait to set up my 150 and make it even better. Good luck with the new coral. They seem to be very hardy ones.