Update on Torch Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by unclejed, Jun 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well, it appears that my Torch developed Brown Jelly Disease. Surprising no one here mentioned that. Upon talking to my LFS buddy, he told me Iodine dips do little to eradicate the protozoan. He told me he uses Hydrogen Peroxide, one cap full per 1 gal. of tank water. I thought I would pass it along. Thanks to all who tried to help.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Let us know how the H2O2 treatment goes. It'll be interesting to hear how well it works.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Interesting. I might suggest, if possible, to remove the coral to do the hydrogen peroxide dips, rather than adding the peroxide directly to the tank. Peroxides will kill off a fair number of beneficial bacteria from your biofilter.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I agree with not adding the peroxide to the tank. Sorry to hear that your torch developed bjd. I'm sure you know that the slime carries protazoan that can infect other corals it comes in contact with.
    My torch did the exact same thing last week and I ended up tossing it. My thumb pierced the skeleton like it was wet tissue paper when I went to pick it up to treat it.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, I will. So far it seems to be responding well, one hour or so since I dipped and it is extending.

Yes, I did remove it and used a plastic 1 gal. jug from ditilled water. I also removed all the dead heads as per my buddys' sugestion.

7. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Good info - good luck with the treatment

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

good luck with that unclejed. and also thnx for some new knowledge in regards to this treatment.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Thanks for the info and best of luck with the recovery.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You are welcome. It made sense to me as Hydrogen Peroxide is an antiseptic. The Torch looks good this morning so we will see.

1 person likes this.