Update on my new 100 gallon

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Birchell, Dec 31, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Well I finally got some water in the tank yesterday. It took till a few hours ago for the sand to finally settle. The base rock is in, but im still waiting on the live rock. I want to make 2 islands in the tank, and want to make sure I get the right rock, lol. I will probably get marshal or caribbean rock. Im gonna put some pieces of shrimp in the tank tonight to start a cycle, and see how good the live sand is. I also put some "cylcle" in the tank, about 3 times what I should have but I dont think it will hurt anything. The wavemaker system will be here any day now. I cant wait, I only have a 170 gph power head and the skimmer in the tank, lol. I love the heaters. I got two 200 watt stealth heaters. They are black and blend in with the black painted back so you can barly see them. Plus the tank stays at 80 all the time. How long does it normaly tank for a tank of this size to cycle?? My nano cycled in a few weeks, but this thing is about 100 times the size, lol. Should I get a fish to help with the cycle in a few weeks, or just hope the shrimp will do the job?? I dont want the bacteria to start dieing because of lack of something to eat. Well I have a pic of the tank, hopfully next time Ill have the wave maker in, and the rock done. This is the worst part of the tank, having to wait on stuff, plus with a pay check to pay check budget I have to wait longer :( . Oh well like Matt says " take it slow, let it grow" Im gonna let it grow, and work with a fish only tank till I can get some nice lights. Well ill stop rabbling on, lol

Michael

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Man I bet that is a night and day difference between the 100 and you old nano. Looks sweeeet!

4. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Congtrats Birchell!

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

thanks, it is night and day between the size of the tanks, but the nano is covered with life were the 100 is died, lol. Im gonna keep the nano running, and just use it as a clown tank, and keep the coral in it till the 100 gets a light upgrade. Do you guys think mushrooms will live under 2 24 watt 10,000 k bulbs, lol. Ive heard they can live in almost darkness.