*UPDATE* Kitchen Counter Re-build (Tile is down!)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by epsilon, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Well, i've finally started on this project... Some may remember me asking some opinions here a while back. Finally got the money and time to start on this so figured it was time to start the build thread...

First off here's what we started with...

I realized that the red backer board on the wall was going to be in my way so i decided to rip it off now.
    [​IMG]
    Bare 3/4" Plywood
    [​IMG]
    sink hole
    [​IMG]

After getting some advice from a number of you, i decided that 1/4" cement board was going to be a necessity. Here i'm figuring out the cut for the sink on the last piece to go in. Apparently i forgot to take pics from the start of this but you didn't miss much...

[​IMG]
    I slid the bottom piece up under the other to figure out where to cut it off. I was feeling lazy and since i could easily trace out what i needed, didn't do much measuring at all... :)
    [​IMG]
    red marks the spot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I used a utility knife to start the cut... Didn't use it to go all the way as it would have killed the blade in one sheet!
    [​IMG]
    I tried using a circular saw first, but i had trouble cutting it straight and my blade was already dull and i didn't want to delay so... I pulled the jig saw out and it actually worked really really well. Ended up using it for the whole project. I meant to take a pic of the blade or well, what was left of it when i was done but i forgot...
    [​IMG]
    Above cut was length, here below we have the width and the cut for the sink...
    [​IMG]
    and here's the fit with the other piece... Worked out very well...
    [​IMG]
    There's my dewalt i used to screw down the board... Board had markings on it to show where and how often to screw down, was kind of nice...
    [​IMG]
    Turned out pretty good so far. Looking better all ready!
    [​IMG]
    Here i've dry laid the tile to get an idea of how i wanted the tile to end up...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and here's what took up the next couple days of free time. Put the shingles on that roof here for my Father-in-law. Little did they know i had these skills :)
    [​IMG]
    OK, so this is the right side of the counter, i decided i wanted my tile to start of in this corner here so i had a full tile hit right at the end where it shoots off to the right... You can see the twine i had down as my over hang guide.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the method i came up with to figure out my overhang. Used the level to push the tile up against it, measured out the over hang... then marked it on that 2x4 block there... Slapped a screw in it and there we have it.
    [​IMG]

I think that's enough to wet your appetite... i'll get some more posted within a day or two.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

OK, got a couple min so i'll try to get some more pics up for you all...

And here's the excuse i gave my self to finally spend money on the Dewalt! Does a decent job at mixing, probably wouldn't hold out long if i did this every day but for the little i had to do it works great...
    [​IMG]
    Got a little carried away and wasn't taking many pics... here's the best one i have of the start point.
    [​IMG]
    In the process of laying down the mortar using a 1/4 x 1/4 trowel
    [​IMG]
    I buttered the back to ensure good coverage and i've found it makes it a lot easier to get things leveled out...
    [​IMG]
    Managed to do a fairly good job getting things leveled out... not really any lips at all!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we go! Ended up pretty straight if you ask me
    [​IMG]

Still needs grout at this point
    [​IMG]

Still have a few tiles to put down along the back edge... ran out of mortar and it was already getting pretty late.
    [​IMG]

What's left?
    The tile along the back edge to the right of sink
    I plan on cutting 2" tiles and creating a border for the overhang...
    Grouting/Sealing
    Backsplash (need to run some more electrical though, if you didn't notice there are 2 plugs for the entire counter!)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011