UPDATE help with new fish/food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by award, Jun 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. award

award Plankton

55 gallon tank. 20lbs. of live rock. 2" of live sand. tank setup for over 2 years now. skimmer. double carbon filter setup. power head. parameters great.

now, current fish are 1 blue chromisis, 1 lawn mover blenny, 2 turbo snails. over the past year a couple fish died off and decided to get some more.

picked up a small yellow tang, 2 firefish goby, mandarin spotted, sleeper, golden head goby, 3 margarita snails.

usually feed marine quisine chunks. maybe 1/2 cube a day. the salesman at Drs. Foster & Smith(where we bought the fish) said to feed mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. also, to continue to feed the sushinori algae for the lawnmower blenny and tang.

ok, this is day 3 of having the new fish and everyone is swimming happy. problem is the tang isn't eating the sushinori. i put a spinach leaf in there and he doesn't eat that either. just swims end to end in back of the tank.

is this the right feed for all the fish or am i missing something?
    thanks and i'll post a photo later.
    ARt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You have a good mix of food, the tang may still be stressed out. Also a 55 gallon tank tends to be a little short for tangs to enjoy swimming in. 6 foot long tanks usually work better.

That was a huge amount of fish to add at once watch your ammonia and nitrite closely they could sdike and wipe your fish out.

4. award

award Plankton

I did a 10% water change today too.

Just wondering if all the fish I have(minus the blenny) will eat the shrimp?

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Is he eating yet??? did you try some food with garlic in it, might stimulate him to eat.

6. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

the tang may take some time to get "trained" to eat off the clip. give it some more time. if it doesnt start at least nibbleing it in a couple weeks, try another type of seaweed

if the mandrin is eating frozen foods that great. it may not though, in which case you might have to try an establish a pod population. (which will be hard with out a fuge now that there is a predetor)

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't see what kind of clip, but if it's one of the ones that looks like a clownfish, you might want to consider a different clip because that could make him shy away from the nori too.

8. Click Here!

9. award

award Plankton

I put a clip near the top and I also rubber band the sushinori to a smaller rock so that there is two spots. The blenny is getting really fat since he found 2 easy food sources. I noticed the tang picking at a live rock a little bit but nothing to sustain him. I will soak it in some garlic juice tomorrow while leaving the second food spot for the pig.

The tang is not stressed at all. Great deep yellow continuous coloring.

Anyone else know what the manarin spotted should eat???

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

10. award

award Plankton

Update

Ok, i soaked the sushinori in garlic juice(just to get it wet) and put it on the rock with the rubber band. Benny the Blenny won't eat it but he has the clip to graze from(and does).

This evening I noticed the tang eating some from the rock banded sushinori.

I also have about a zillion of the amphipods in the tank so if the mandarin won't eat them then he is doomed. One question though...does he eat at night or should I keep the lights off during the day?

All fish are looking good too.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Mandarins seem to sleep at night, or at least mine sits in one spot and doesn't move for 12 hours. They eat all day, so lights out wouldn't help him.

12. award

award Plankton

Ok, thanks for the hint.

Well I fed them the shrimp this a.m. and he just lets them drift by. Talk about stubborn. If I can get a photo of him I will post it.