[UPDATE...BACK TO SQUARE ONE ]The hunt for the 4th fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JJL, Apr 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which fish is best? (34 gallon, 2 clowns, Royal Gramma, many corals & inverts)

1. Helfrich's Firefish

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Longnose Hawkfish

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Yellow Watchman Goby

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Longnose hawks are known to be the least aggressive of the hawkfish, if aggressive at all. My brother has a longnose with a pep shrimp, cleaner shrimp, tons of snails, a star, and a few emerald crabs in his 55. If you have a shrimp, just don't get a full grown longnose. Or any shrimp that would be small enough for it to eat. Otherwise I don't think you'd have anything to worry about with a longnose!

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

OK....thanks for the input....The ones my LFS has are usually quite small :)
    I will keep your brother's experiances with this fish in mind
    Honestly, I am just not sure about which one I want. I think what I am going to do is wait until they actually get the fish in (not order it) and then see which one I think is for me. Once I see one that I like with a good personality I will bring it home. I just have to wait. They get longnose hawks and YWG there a lot, and there is another FS close o me that has the Helfrichi Firefish there sometimes. Still doing reading though to decide.
    Keep votes and experiances with the fish coming
    Thanks
    Also if you have any of these fish dont be afraid to post pictures ;)
    Thanks again for the help everybody
    JJL

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

So...I called the FS that is a little far from my house (not my normal, close FS) and they had a 2 inch, healthy Helfrichi Firefish!!!!!!!!!
    Sadly this post is not going where you think it is :(
    I asked what they are asking for it: $100
    Yes...so tempting, I wanted it SOOOOOOOOOO bad, but $100 is quite a pretty penny for a fish :(
    I have yet to ask my regular LFS if they can get me one though
    I am pretty sure they can, but not sure about the price
    JJL

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You could get a purple firefish or a red one. They are both beautiful, fun and cheaper!

6. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

lubbock's wrasse is pretty cool they are multicolored reef safe fish, but mostly purple with shiny eyes, and mine was pretty chill and mellow

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yea I did look at that one too. It just does not appeal much to me. That is just IMO though, Thanks for the suggestion though!
    JJL

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Great suggestion, and GREAT fish, but I think I want to stay away from wrasses bacuase at times they can be aggressive.
    JJL

10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Going to my main LFS later today to see how much he would want for a Helfrichs Firefish....Fingers Crossed!!!! :)
    I really want to try to get one for $70 or below. I know that is cheap, but am a very good customer
    Also One Question: If he gives me a price....say, like $85 and I want it for less (LOL) would it be ok to try to negotiate a price..... sort of? Or are you not suppose to do that?
    Thanks
    JJL

11. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

maybe just say you really want it but all you have is 70 and see what he says. maybe you can do 70 now and in a week or 2 give him another $20. I went and got a few things from my lfs that I go to every week for water and coral and what ever else I need, so I know all them pretty well, and I needed silicon but didnt have enough since I bought a few other thing and he just gave it to me and said I can get him back another time

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Wow that is very nice of your LFS ;)
    Maybe I can try to say....Can you get it for $70? ...LOL
    Thanks for the answer!
    Happy Birthday ;)
    JJL