Urgent UPDATE: Anemone died and One fish!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kristiavi, Apr 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

UPDATE: I woke up this morning and one of my blue chromis was dead, checked my levels again and they are the exact same they were yesterday. Should I do a major water change or get the fish out of the tank?? Thanks

So I added an anemone yesterday and he was doing great, completely opened up and found a spot and stayed there all night. Well today I added the power head (on the opposite side of the tank) and he closed up, I thought it was just because of the change in flow and that he would re-open. I have him 10 minutes with no change, I moved him to a new spot in the tank where the flow was minimal and he rolled over and stayed like that for another 10 minutes and none of his bubble tips were inflated, they just looked lifeless. I decided to put him a seperate container and when I scooped him up this red ball came out of where his mouth is, i have no idea what its. Anyways im completely sure he is dead, none of his tips are moving at all and looks awful. I did a quick water check and everything was the same it was yesterday and within normal limits.

Anyways my question is, did i catch it fast enough before it poluted my tank? My fish seem fine and I notice no jelly or anything coming out of the anemone. Should I do a water change or something?

Nitrate-10
    Nitrite - 0
    Alk- 300
    Ph - 7.8

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      389.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

What's your salinity? How did you acclimate it?

Are you sure it wasn't just pooping or doing a waterchange on itself?

4. Kristiavi

Salinity is 1.024 and I posted a picture, the ball wasnt poop, it was a part of itself! Kinda gross

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

6. Kristiavi

Bubble tip sorry

7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Being that it's mostly still there and your parameters aren't changed, I'd say your tank is fine (especially if it's out of the tank now). This isn't assuming the nem is alive or dead... just that if the parameters are fine now and it isn't there, then they should stay fine.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The person who you bought it from probably accidentally tore it's foot. I would put an airstone in that container for circulation and aeration and see if it recovers.

10. Kristiavi

Okay I will try that, but whats an airstone? Sorry im new to this and pretty much clueless lol

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

it's a stone that allows many bubbles to form when hooked up to a "bubbler"

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You should be able to get an inexpensive air pump with an airstone at your LFS, Petco, Petsmart, the Sporting Goods section of Walmart, etc for about $15. If they have a battery operated one, that's even better because you can use it during power outages.