UPC/APS Power Backups for Fish Tanks?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by DarkEarth, Jun 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello.

I was just wondering if these would be great to keep your tank running during a power outage. The one I have for my PC is in the 800W range and it will run my PC for about 18 minutes after power is out, long enough to close down without losing any data.

If my pumps and other possible accessories (minus lights) are only drawing say 100w total, does that mean an 800W power backup would run my system for quite awhile? How long would it run just an air stone pump, days long maybe?

Thanks for any opinions on this. These backups in the 200w range are very cheap.

2. Click Here!

3. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

They will work but I had a I think a 600 watt and it only lasted me about an hour with just the two power heads. We had two and were able to swap them out and charge them but it only lasted so long.

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I have 6 deep cycle car batteries hooked up through a modified ups....never tested the setup for longer then 4 hrs but I ran everything other then my halides for 4 hrs no problem

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

LR05- was this a DIY project? If so do you have any plans or specs? Pics?

Interested to see what you have going on - sounds heavy duty!

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well theyre measured in VA not watts. I have a 1500VA APS backup on my tank. The.only things it powers are a heater and the two vortech mp10s. Thatll last about an hour to two depending on qhethet i turn the vortechs all the way down or leave them at theor nornal pulse.

VA is converted to watts via a number called PF, or power factor. That number is different for every UPS, and will change based on the exact load you put on the ups. Best bet is to go to manufacturers website. They usually have the graphs for runtime at given loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I run two APC ES 350. I have a third I use as a backup to the one that runs my flow and temp.

One runs my ATO and autodoser

The other runs my heater and one Powerhead. (I have a backup for this too in case this one runs out of juice).

Everything else, I'm OK if it goes out for a few days. I added this equipment after Ike. In the event of power failure all you really need is flow, temp, and maybe ATO. And you really only need those intermittently.

So in event of power failure, I'd turn it off if I'm home and turn it on once every few hours (it's not like the temp will drop like a rock).

Running lights, skimmers, or lots of Powerheads is just going to drain the battery and won't last longer than a few hours at best - defeating the purpose IMHO. In other words, I'm not worried about power outage measured in hours - the tank will survive.

I also bought a very small generator. It's for the tank too in case of another Ike event. Human comfort be darned ::) :p

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I would suggest a small portable gas generator over a UPS system. Those will run for as long as you have gas for it. The UPS systems seem overpriced to me for a couple of hours of juice vs. 11+ hours on a single gas tank (for most in the $300-500 range).

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Any particular brand/series you would recommend?

I see HONDA Generators (the ultra quite series) but they are quite pricey - a 1000 watt model runs over $600.00.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Honda also makes some of the best small generators around. They're like a Lexus compared to...erm....a Honda. ;D

But really, they run for longer, and are quieter, than the cheaper ones at the same wattage rating.

12. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Thanks Blackraven!

Time to start saving up for a generator!