Up Close with the Red Sea C-Skim 1800 Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Red Sea C-Skim 1800 does not have the trendy/sexy cone look found today, but it is a bit of an engineering marvel with integrated neck washing system and FoamView collection cup. The skimmer has been been seriously upgraded from the original 1200 C-Skim 3reef gave away a couple years back - the new 1800 has a much more powerful pump - a Sicce PSK 2500. This top-notch pump gives the C-Skim 1800 a very nice 800 lph of air injection, nearly double the original as well as 450 gph max water throughput making the C-Skim a nice candidate for large tanks from 150 - 475 gallons.

[​IMG]
    The Improved Red Sea C-Skim 1800 Protein Skimmer

[​IMG]
    The C-Skim 1800 Gets a Boost from a Sicce PSK 2500 pump

[​IMG]
    The new one piece impeller for added durability

[​IMG]
    The air injection is much beefier on the C-Skim 1800 than the original

[​IMG]
    The integrated neck washing system is a stand-out with the C-Skim

Impressions:

Red Sea has made maintenance less of a chore with the C-Skim protein skimmer. Cleaning the neck requires little more than a flip of the switch. You don't turn the skimmer off. And pump maintenance is easy as the pump is accessible and has quick-connects. Pump maintenance should be a bit less too thanks to the new one-piece impeller.

Other than not going with the current cone trend, if there is a real down-side to the C-Skim, it would be the size of the skimmer. It is rather large so measure well when considering this skimmer. This skimmer is capable of being piped as a stand-alone outside the sump however.

Regardless, Red Sea has made a unique skimmer that should skim really well with the Sicce pump, be easy to maintain and outlast a few trends in the skimmer marketplace. The Red Sea C-Skim 1800 retails for around $350.

Specs and More information:
    RedSeaFish

Red Sea Web site:
    http://www.redseafish.com/

Rea Sea is a 3reef sponsor, check out their sponsor board here:
    Red Sea - 3reef Forums

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Looks great. I almost have my c-skim 1200 hooked up by the way. ;D

Yes I know I am really slacking but it really is a huge skimmer and will not fit anywhere I try to place it. Well I finally figured out a way. I am going to build another cabinet that looks similar to the tank's stand (same design and color) but taller. I am going to put the skimmer in the cabinet adjacent to the tank and run the plumbing behind the stands. Will make a good place for top off water too.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

When did you win that 3reef prize? Like 2 years ago? ;D
    You and I must be on the same schedule. lol! ;D

Good idea with the cabinet though. Seriously!

matt

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I just checked and it was April 2009, so one year ago. I really can't believe it took me so long to come up with the cabinet idea. The skimmer is built perfectly to do something like this.

I take the "go slow" part of your signature far to literally, I think.

Don't worry I still plan to write a review as promised. As soon as I test it out. ;D

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I look forward to the review and you still get big points for coming up with the cabinet idea in the 1st place in my book! 8)