Resolved Unknown Coral?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by vawdka, Feb 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I picked up a piece of cured live rock from a well established system. It is just full of living things... it actually makes me kick myself for getting dry rock sometimes. I'm nearing the end of my cycle and since I took it from one tank and put it straight in mine I was told it shouldn't hurt anything plus I'm still treating my water with a form of bio booster. Anyway, I have found all sorts of things on this rock such as asterina stars, micro feather dusters, snails, and brittle stars. I only see the brittle star arms and today I saw a whole one finally and they are all very very tiny except the one today, if it was spread out, was probably the size of a quarter. I can identify all of those... however today these opened up and I am guessing they are some sort of coral because they have a calcified base they attach to the rock with. I have no idea what they are because corals are my weak point because I've never had any at all. Luckily, I have a system that is capable of supporting corals now.

Anyway, anyone know what these are? I'm guessing since they are open and feeding that that is a good sign anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

kinda looks like a star polyp

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

cool, i have my green star polyps growing up the back side of my tank on the plastic. very hardy and but can sting other corals

6. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Thank you all for the answers :)