Unique aquascaping ideas needed

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by BREEZE, Sep 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BREEZE

BREEZE Astrea Snail

Hello! My name is Chris.
    I am new here.

I have had a 75g set up for about a year. Kind of a father/son project with my 13year old. We caught reef fever really , really bad!
    We just love the hobby!!!
    I just purchased a 175 bowfront. I am in no hurry to set it up. I want to take my time and do something unique.Its kind of like one of those..."if you could do it aaaall over again ...what would you do", kind of deals. Well...I am there!

Right now it is full of tap water to check for leaks. All is well.

I have heard of PVC, brick pavers , acrylic rods, fiberglass rods, even milk crates being used to create unique aquascaping.

I need some details on some of these procedures. If you have any links to threads of some of these procedures I would be most appreciative.

Any pictures of you own unique scaping would also be welcome.

Thanks for the help!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would kinda like to do a pvc jungle the fish can swim through, kinda a out of this world setting, redecorating my tank right now im playing around with the idea of having live rock platforms so there are levels to the tank, and maybe some pink galaxy on the bottom on top of polyboard(white cutting board). but i don't know if i have the guts to go through with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I did my aquascaping at of primarily fiji shelf base rock. The shelf rock is shaped, well, like shelves, and is mostly nice and flat. I have three "teirs" in my 40 gallon. The lowest sticks out fowards the farthest, with each ascending level set back from the lower one. It basically made my entire rock structure into shelfs, which makes it so I can place corals and what-not just about anywhere I wish, depending on there lighting and flow needs. It also created a ton of hidey-holes for the other creatures, and looks pretty cool, too. I didnt use any pvc, racks, glue, or anything like that.

5. BREEZE

BREEZE Astrea Snail

Dude...you gotta post me a picture of that.
    Sounds really nice.

Thanks!

6. BREEZE

BREEZE Astrea Snail

I likey!
    Keep'em comin!!!:trampolin

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I'll get you one up in a couple of hours when I get home :)

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

10. BREEZE

BREEZE Astrea Snail

Nicely done my friend! Those are some sweet rocks.
    The flat Figi is hard to come by!
    Did you just stack'em or did you use any other methods?

Nice lookin tank man!:2thumbsup

Here is my 75 when I set it up in February. I drilled into the rocks and used fiberglass rods to stack them high.

I am looking to take it to the next level with my 175.

[​IMG]

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thanks a lot. I got the rock from an e-bay seller named reef chili. It arrived quickly and was a good transaction. They have a store there if you wanna check it out.
    I just stacked mine. No drilling or anything like that. About the only thing I did was smash some of the larger rocks with a hammer ;)
    Its about 70% shelf rock and 30% regular, odd shaped rocks.
    I am not a fan of the drilling or gluing method, simply because I fiddle with my rocks too much. I've re-arranged my rocks about 4 times before it got to those pics. Every time I thought I was happy, but then moved them again eventually. They will probably be moved again eventually. If you drill/glue, you wont have quiet the flexibility to completely re-arrange if you want to down the road.

1 person likes this.
  12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i was thinking if you don't mind not having sand you can have a coral bottom, ive heard of people doing zoas and green star polyps