Unidentified

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mad_kangaroo, May 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

I have a star fish moving about in my tank. Well at least I think its a star. 6 fingers, white with what looks like coralline growing on his back, for camo no doubt. I have never seen a 6 fingered star though. I read most stars attack coralline algae which is no good for me since I have been trying to grow it.

On a side note, I just had a heart attack. My Coral Banded's shell was floating on top of my LR. I thought he died. Didn't occur to me that shrimp molt just like other shelled inverts.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You're most likely seeing an asterina starfish. It is greatly debated whether or not these starfish eat corals. I have had plenty in my tank throughout the years and never had one go after healthy corals. I've seen them eating algae off of the base of an ailing coral but never eating live, healthy flesh.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Asterina ap. as a whole are not bad, but there are a few species that will eat corals. That is a known fact. IMO, its better to be safe then sorry. Not all are bad, Amcarrig must have been lucky and got some good ones. A friend of mine couldnt keep corals, and couldnt figure out why until one day he notced something on one of them, and it was a type of asterinas munching on it. The coral was healthy until they got a hold of it.