undergravel plates

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mojo, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mojo

Mojo Plankton

my tank went belly up a few dayz ago. long dreadful story. anyways, i am breaking it down and starting over. should i include an undergravel filter in the tank with uplift tubes connected to powerheads like in freshwater tanks?

tyia

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd avoid them. Not saying it can't be done, but they require a lot more work.

I'd go with around 4 inches of sand on the bottom, some good porous live rock, roughly 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon of water, and as good a skimmer and lighting as you can buy.

Back to sand, I prefer the 2mm-4mm (diameter of the sand particle) stuff myself. Some go finer.

A few still use crushed coral, but it requires more vacuuming to stay clean, that's why most use sand now.

Hope that helps!

:)

4. Mojo

Mojo Plankton

thanks Matt :)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!

Ditto on Matt's recommendations.  Smaller grain size equals larger area and more room for beneficial bacteria for denitrification.

Are you wanting a reef tank or a fish only set up?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Is this the same Mojo guy from all the other reef forums?

Welcome aboard mate.

7. Mojo

Mojo Plankton

thanks for the replies fellas.

craig, i am wanting to do mostly reef with a few fish.

nautilus, i am the Mojo! ;) i play an online game with checkmateking and he turned me on to this great place. i've posted in one or two of the other forums here.

thanks again.

remind to tell you all a story about a 'sea apple' my wife brought home, lol i have to laugh about it or i would simply cry.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Mojo,
    Online Chess?
    How is CMK doing these days?

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Mojo link=board=Newbie;num=1076180270;start=0#5 date=02/07/04 at 21:04:18]craig, i am wanting to do mostly reef with a few fish.[/quote]

For sure you want small grain sized dolomite, aragonite, or oolite sand for a reef.

Welcome aboard!

11. Mojo

Mojo Plankton

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1076180270;start=0#7 date=02/08/04 at 01:18:30]

For sure you want small grain sized dolomite, aragonite, or oolite sand for a reef.

Welcome aboard!

[/quote]

is it possible to buy those types of sand as "live sand"? if so is there a good online place to buy it from? the only live sand i've seen in my LFS is a very course, brown looking sand that reminds me of the sand on the atlantic side of florida.

cheers!

12. Mojo

Mojo Plankton

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Newbie;num=1076180270;start=0#6 date=02/08/04 at 00:35:03]Mojo,
    Online Chess?
    How is CMK doing these days?[/quote]

i don't play chess m8. i know the basic moves of each piece but was never really into the game. i've been an avid ww2 combat flight simulator player for about 6 yrs now. thats how i met CMK, who is aka BAD_WOLF. he flys for my team at www.badsquadron.com. i talk to him via voice comms almost daily and he seems like a super nice fella.

we can also be found at www.tidesofwar.net a community for online ww2 sim players and the official site for "Enigma Rising Tide" from Terrasaction Games. we are under the "Clubs" as the 56th Air Wing. visit our forums & post anytime. we would be glad to hear from you guys :)