Uncured rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Lionking, Jan 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

I will be starting up my tank in the next couple of weeks but I have found a good deal on live rock that is ending soon. So I was wondering if I started to cure the rock for 2 weeks in some new garbage pails will this be okay? Also when I finally put my water in the tank should I use the water that the rocks were curing in to start with? Will I need to heat the water? I have power filters, air stones, and I can hook up my cannister filter too. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks,

2. Click Here!

3. reef_novice

reef_novice Astrea Snail

Hi Lionking,

First never mix water from other tank with your's. From my experience you should heat up your water and strart your skimmer. If your tank is emty just pout your live rock in, it will help to start your tank also.

Yves

4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

I did mine in my tank cured for 5 week with live sand, just to be safe with no lights only skimmer

5. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

I ask about the water because I am unable to actually set up my tank until 3 weeks from now. I have to get new carpet down, and than there was a crack in the foundation, etc, etc... So I was thinking I could I start to cure my uncured rock ahead of time and than when I set up the tank and start from scratch should I take some of the water used to cure the rock when I add water to my tank?
    \\
    Thanks

6. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

yes I would put some of the water in the tank as long as the rock was fully cured.IT would be like a big water change